30 Amp Single Pole Breaker With 2 Hot Wires Under Terminal - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

30 amp single pole breaker with 2 hot wires under terminal

I am a new member to this forum, and have learned alot from viewing all of the electrical posts. In doing a kitchen remodel I have found alot of unsafe wiring in my house. I have had an electrician do some of the repairs, and I am doing what I have the knowledge to do. I need some help with this issue. 30 amp single pole breaker with 2 hot wires to the terminal. The previous owner added a whirlpool tub and ran #10 to the panel and just added it to the breaker that feeds into kitchen. I have 1 slot open for a new breaker, so I can put in 20 amp breaker, move the hot wire for the whirpool to the new breaker. replace the 30 amp with a 20 amp breaker for the micro-hood. Does this sound correct?
kimberly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 370

Sounds like the previous homeowner should have asked you first. Before he did that.

Check the tub and be sure it needs a 20 amp circuit.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
kimberly01 (05-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

Correct, if the wire going to the kitchen serves a micro+hood, it should be 20A, not 30A.

And the whirlpool and kitchen definitely need separate breakers.

A 30A whirlpool is unlikely -- is this a drain-and-fill whirlpool, or is it a hot tub that stays filled with water when not in use? Assuming it is a drain-and-fill whirlpool, can you pop an access cover off the side to see how many amps or watts the pump and heater are? That will help determine the correct size of breaker.

Just FYI, drain-and-fill whirlpool tubs should be GFCI protected. If you can't find a GFCI "test/reset" button under or near the tub, you may want to consider adding one for safety.
kimberly01 (05-21-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I don't have any paperwork for the tub, but it is does not have a heater, just jets. Probably only requires 15 amp. Other than that, does everything else sound right?
kimberly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly01 View Post
I don't have any paperwork for the tub, but it is does not have a heater, just jets. Probably only requires 15 amp. Other than that, does everything else sound right?
I agree, whirlpool pumps are usually 15A.

Everything else sounds good too.
Advertisement