3 Way Switch Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

3 way switch questions

My bathroom has a fan/light/heater, and the control is a single gang sized switch with three seperate rocker switches to control the different functions. The switch for the heater no longer works correctly, so I'm replacing the whole switch.

I purchased a switch of the same style (single gang sized with three seperate switches). The fan/heater says it needs to be on a separate 20 amp circuit. The switch says that each of its three switches is 15 amps or 20 amps total. I am assuming this would be a proper switch, but don't want to rely on my assumption when dealing with electricity. Does this sound like the right switch, or is there a unit that would be rated for 20 amps per switch? Don't want to overload the switch that controls the heater.
leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Just so you know, the switch you described is not a 3-way switch. A 3-way switch does not mean a "3-in-one switch".

A 3-way is a special switch that, in combination with a second 3-way, allows you to control a device (eg. light) from more than one location (eg. At the top and bottom of the stairs).

It sounds like the switch you bought is OK, but I'll let one of the more qualified experts around here tell you for sure.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

See no problem with the new switch. Even with all functions turned on together, I doubt that the fixture will draw nearly as much as the full 20a capability of the switch array. 2Oa at 120v = 2400w.
oilseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement