3 Way Switch Controls The Power In The Other Room Also? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

3 way switch controls the power in the other room also?

Basically i'm just confused why there is a 3 way switch in a bedroom with only 1 switch. One black wire came out when i removed the switch and now the other rooms power is not working at all.

The fuse is off so there is no worry right now.

I think that the wire is from the terminal in the back (not the screw because it isnt bent). Does it belong in the same section/slot as the other black wire? I will probably call an electrician but whats your advice?

Referring to the push in terminal...
- it should go in the terminal next the screw with the black wire connected to it right?

Last edited by kopac07; 10-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
kopac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

If you were smart enough to turn off the power and brave enough to open the box, I have a feeling you can fix it.

The backstabbing method of attaching wires to a device (the switch) is shady at best. They almost always loosen up after time and cause problems. The best method is to bend the wire and mechanically tighten it with the screw.

As far as why a 3-way switch happens to be installed at that location, the reason is usually that someone without clue figured "a switch is a switch" and bought, then installed the wrong type of switch.

The two clarifications needed before any of us can help you are:
What did you mean when you titled your post-are other rooms affected?
On the three-way switch, does it appear that one screw was unused?

I have seldom seen a three way system in a small bedroom. Some pictures would also help.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Residential Contractor

I just noticed your edit, and it makes things a little clearer as to the other room being affected.

You need to attach the black wires together (known as pigtailing) with a short conductor feeding the switch.

This way, you are not relying on the integrity of one single device (being a switch or receptacle) to supply other areas.

This connection needs to be twisted together and then secured by a properly sized wire nut very tightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #4

reply.....

1. When I opened the box, one wire came out of one of the slots....When I turned the power on the light in the room of the switch turned on and still works.
However now the switch for the light on the room next to it wont work, neither will the outlets in that room.

2.Yes, one screw is not used. From the front viewing the switch, the red is on the top right, black on the bottom right and the bottom left is not used.

Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3894955...7622606466060/
Old 10-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

I will do that....Thank you for your help
Old 10-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Residential Contractor

Good info and pics.

From what I see, the information I provided above all applies.

Your welcome, and I was glad to help.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,034

A single 3 way switch will function as a regular switch if you use the dark (common) terminal and one of the other terminals.

Perhaps the person who put it there did not have a regular switch handy and was willing to use the more expensive 3 way switch in stock.

The wire that fell out was probably the continuation of power to the other room. If you reconnected it incorrectly you might end up with the switch controlling the power in the other room either simultaneously or alternately.

A modern 3 way switch has three round holes in the back each paired with a screw nearby on the side. You probably began with two wires poked into the holes in the back and the third screwed on. The live feed (use a voltmeter to measure between it and ground) should be connected to the continuation to the other room and were probably connected to one hole and its matching screw. You would take these two and wire nut them with a pigtail as described above. The other wire is for the switched receptacle and/or overhead light and was probably poked in another hole. Rectangular slots next to round holes are there to poke a screwdriver in and unlock the wire from the hole.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-17-2009 at 07:13 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement