3-way Switch 2 Fixtures - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

3-way switch 2 fixtures

Hello. I would like to wire a 3-way switch to 2 fixtures but not in the usual way. I want to wire so that in one position one fixture is on and in the other position the other fixture is on. Doing this so that when the "main" lamp isn't on there's a low wattage LED bulb on. Doing this in a dark hallway. I actually know how to do this. Is it legal according to the NEC? Thanks.
regisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,970

Re: 3-way switch 2 fixtures

Tell us what you are planning to do. Then we can determine if it is legal. I can not think of any reason that it would be banned.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #3

Thanks for a quick reply. I actually worked as an electrician over 30 years ago. I know a lot has changed.
I plan on installing an additional fixture in a hallway. I want one of the 2 fixtures to be on at all times. With the 3-way switch in one position one of the fixtures is on, with the 3-way switch in the other position the other fixture is on. I want to do this so that a low wattage LED is always on as a guide or night light in a dark hallway when the main higher wattage light isn't on.
Again, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,524

What you really require is to wire up one Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch to operate either one of two lamps - so that one or other of them is always on.

I cannot see any problem with this.

As a point of interest, I have a situation where the Common of an SPDT switch goes to an external (porch) lamp and in the "operated" position connects the lamp to the Line.
However, in the other (off) position the lamp is connected to a "switched" Line derived from an out-doors movement sensor.

So, I can switch the lamp concerned on and off individually but it also comes on along with the other external lamps operated by the sensor.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

That's what I was thinking since a 3-way switch is just an SPDT. I like the idea of your wiring. However in my instance I would connect to a remote dusk to dawn sensor rather than a motion detector.
Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement