3 Way Light Switch/Timer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

3 Way Light Switch/Timer

I am at a complete loss.

I have a Defiant Daylight Adjusting Indoor Digital Timer that I am trying to install. I have a decent enough idea of how to change a light switch, I've done a bunch. I say that because I'm not TOTALLY incompetent.

So, I have got it wired so the timer has power. When I took the switch off the wall, there were two wires in the "common" holes at the top of the switch, one wire inserted in the bottom and one wrapped around the outside nut.

Right now I have the two wires that were going in to the "common" holes at the top of the switch wired together and capped with the blue wire on the timer. I have one of the bottom wires attached to the white wire and oner attached to the blue wire on the timer. I capped the red wire as well as the ground wire.

OK, I have power to the box. It is lit up.When I turn on the breaker, the power on the timer box comes on. The light outside will not turn on from the regular switch. When I go to the timer switch, I can turn the light on but can't turn it off. Then, I can go to the switch and flip it and it turns off the power completely to the timer/switch and turns off the light and the whole timer. No power at all.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Could it be the switch (not the timer) is not a 3 way and that is the issue? I haven't done anything on that end.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8

Let me see if I can explain this better according to their instructions.

I took the two wires off the switch that was on the wall and they are now attached to the neutral wire (white) on the new timer/switch. I have one of the wires that went in to the bottom hole of the old switch attached to the blue (load) wire. The other wire that was attached to the nut on the bottom of the switch is now attached to the black (line) wire.

The red wire (the traveler) that is on the timer switch is now just capped off.

I'm so confused.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,152

You can't just wire by positions. If the common wire on your switch was not on the bottom, that connection was a mistake.

Also, which wiring diagram are you trying to use, top of page, bottom left, or bottom right ? It needs to be one of the 2 at the bottom.

To select the right wiring diagram, You need to detirmine where the power comes into your 3 way switch system. That switch is the line side. The other switch should be the load side.

In which position are you trying to install the timer ? Line or load ?
If your lights are fluorescent, the timer must go in the load position.

Regardless of which position you put the timer, you must install a jumper at the other end ( the regular 3way switch). Without the jumper at the other end, the timer may not work properly and the regular 3 way absolutely will not.

Last edited by Oso954; 08-19-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement