3/4" EMT To 1" FMT - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By seharper

Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

3/4" EMT to 1" FMT

For context, I'm working on installing a transfer switch, and re-routing some on-wall conduit to be more in-wall than it was before. This conduit contains 3 #8 THHN wires. This is the red line in the image below. The section in question here is the 90 degree turn below the "future transfer switch" area. Ignore the junction box that you see -- That is no longer there: That's the old place that the in-wall to on-wall transition occurred.

3/4" EMT to 1" FMT-future.png

I've found this challenging the because the space is so limited, and I need the conduit to make a 90 degree turn towards the ceiling, plus the adjustment to get it along the exterior side of the wall, behind the to-be-installed transfer switch. I can't make those adjustments with a 90 degree plus 45 degree rigid pieces, for example. And I don't have an EMT bender.

What I do have is an extra piece of 1" FMT, and I realize this could be a much easier way of making that 90 degree turn out of the main panel, connecting with the 3/4" EMT coming down from above.

So here's my issue: I spent much longer than I expected standing in the electrical isle at big Blue box and big Orange box home improvement stores, trying to figure out the easiest way to make this transition:
1" FMT to 3/4" EMT (unthreaded)

I've come up with a way, but it seems much more complex that I expected. I like to think I'm a reasonably good problem solver, but this was the easiest solution I could come up with.

3/4" EMT to 1" FMT-fmt_to_emt.png

Have I missed something? Am I doing something wrong?

Am I better off just buying 25 feet of 3/4" FMT so I can use 18" of it?
ndtrek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 858

Re: 3/4" EMT to 1" FMT

Use 3/4" EMT and a LL condulet body.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #3

Thanks @surferdude2 , but I'm planning on drywalling over this area and not having direct access to it going forward. This type of box requires access, doesn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtrek07 View Post
So here's my issue: I spent much longer than I expected standing in the electrical isle at big Blue box and big Orange box home improvement stores, trying to figure out the easiest way to make this transition:
1" FMT to 3/4" EMT (unthreaded)
There's your trouble right there.

If you had walked into your friendly neighborhood electrical supply house, especially you, who is into a big project and will be doing a lot of this and they will get to recognize you... they would've disappeared in the back and come back 2 minutes later with exactly what you need.

Also knowing HD/Lowes they probably overcharged you for what they *did* have. They want to sell coils of Romex, they are not into esoterica, and their prices reflect that.
Kevin_Essiambre and ndtrek07 like this.
seharper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seharper For This Useful Post:
ndtrek07 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #5

3/4 inch EMT connector. 1 in rigid coupling with 1x3/4 reducing bushing in one end. Other end is 1 inch for flex connector.
Oldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #6

Thanks @Oldmaster -- But it seems like that's basically what I have, except you've combined my middle three pieces into one magical piece that I have not been able to find:
Mine: 1" female to female connector; the 1" to 3/4" male to male reducer; and the 3/4" female to female connector.
Your suggestion" 1" Female to 3/4" Female

Perhaps my big box home improvement and amazon searches are misplaced, as @seharper suggested.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! @seharper , at your suggestion I searched for a local electrical supply store. Not gonna lie, I did not know these places existed for homeowners.

I found one, and while they didn't have a 1" FMT to 3/4" EMT connector, they did sell 3/4" EMT by the foot.

They sold me 2 feet of 3/4" FMT with two connectors for $6. I'll be taking back the 5-part monstrosity to HD whenever covid-return policies allow.

Thank you for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
conduit , emt , fmt