220 Vac Cheaper That 120 Vac - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

220 vac cheaper that 120 vac

I have a friend that tells me it is cheaper to run equipment on 220 vac rather that 120 vac. He says a power meter only reads one pole at a time (whichever pole is putting out the most), so when your running something on 220, your only paying for half the power. I don't know enough about meters to argue this, but I can't believe this. Can anybody link me to a web page proofing this right or wrong. Thank You
scottkolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

1000% wrong. Tell your friend to stick to flipping burgers.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

It will draw ˝ the Amps, since the Volts is doubled.

The watts will remain the same. You are billed from the power company for power consumption in watts.

About the only advantage is large machines will appear to have more ooomph since the circuits' capacity is twice as large on the higher system voltage.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

...and I was about to rewire my entire house to 240v & buy all 240v stuff from England

He thinks the power company only reads one hot feed at a time?
Does he want to buy a bridge?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 968

Can you tell your friend I have a device that will save him money, you put it inline with your meter and it will correct all the inefficient loads(i.e fridge) in your house and reduce your bill greatly.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,054

Horsepower for horsepower or BTU for BTU, 240 volt large appliances cost a little less to operate than comparable 120 volt appliances because less power is dissipated as heat in the wires from the electric meter to the appliance innards.

For small appliances the difference, practically speaking, is negligible.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-29-2009 at 09:09 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkolu View Post
I have a friend that tells me it is cheaper to run equipment on 220 vac rather that 120 vac. He says a power meter only reads one pole at a time (whichever pole is putting out the most), so when your running something on 220, your only paying for half the power. I don't know enough about meters to argue this, but I can't believe this. Can anybody link me to a web page proofing this right or wrong. Thank You
I used to know another "scientist" who gave an explanation in front of a class how an electric switch works. "See" the sage said. "Electricity wants to run in the wires. So, the switch, when in the OFF position squeeezes the "electrodes" and does not let them go through. When in the ON position, it releases them with great force. Anyway. The above explanation makes as much sense as your friend's explanation about meters.
A watthour meter measures how many Amperes are used, at what Voltage (which equals Watts) for what length of Time. (Eliminate confusion)Through Education! Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Hey Darrin

Darrin of what do you speak?
menu item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Can you tell your friend I have a device that will save him money, you put it inline with your meter and it will correct all the inefficient loads(i.e fridge) in your house and reduce your bill greatly.
Do tell. You should know that correcting inefficient loads and reducing your electric bill are 2 separate things.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Electrician

Rewards Points: 968

I was just jokieng around but I'm sure you have all heard or seen the device that is suppose to lower your bills. Just hook and this device and see your bills go down.

Once you read into it, they way they explain it is that there correcting your power factor back to unity or pretty damn close, and by doing this it will reduce your bills.

To anyone that knows anything, that line is pile of BS because you are billed on your watts used and not your VA.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,054

If you install this passive device for correcting the power factor (the device is called a capacitor) and the power factor changes, for example the refrigerator cycles off or the dryer finishes, then the device will overcorrect the power factor and net power consumption is greater with the device still installed.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

I have a step up transformer in my basement. I run everything at 10kv. It sucks when something goes wrong but my bill is over 20 times smaller!

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,016

Many of my appliances and electronic devices have a power saving feature - it's labeled 'OFF'.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #15

I just run an extension cord to the neighbors while they are at work

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement