120 V Circuit From 230 Volt Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

120 v circuit from 230 volt panel

I have an existing 230 volt exterior panel with black and white feeds to buss bars in the panel and double pole 30 amp breakers. A ground from the house panel is connected to the ground bar, but no neutral. The exterior panel feeds an irrigation relay and pump. The existing panel is fed from a 30 amp double pole breaker located in the main panel in the house. I want to use the exterior panel to also feed a 20 amp 120 volt exterior duplex outlet. There is room in the panel for 2 addtional single pole breakers. Can I insert a single pole 20 amp breaker into the panel to either one of the two busses (black or white), connect the new outlet feed black hot wire to the new 20 amp breaker and connect both the white neutral and bare ground wire to the neutral/ground bar even though there is no existing neutral feed connected to the bar?
mills372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor
jbfan's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 8,386
Rewards Points: 6,382


You need a neutral to do this within code.
You can use a transformer of the corret size to do what you want to do.
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician
frenchelectrican's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000

DO not attempt that way due you have no netural there at all either rewired the whole circuit or add a 240/120 volt transfomer to downstep and get correct voltage from that set up.

Cost for 2.0 KW transfomer may cost more than you can rewire that circuit.

I really can't tell you the price due I do not know what area you are from and there are few diffrent verison of transfomer you will use so that something you may want to check out on your end.

I can get rough estame of the cost of transfomer if you request it.

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
J. V.'s Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,121
Rewards Points: 332

If you have conduit, all you would have to do is push a white THHN wire through to the panel and land on the neutral bar. Then you have 120 volts available. If you do not have conduit you must run a new 3 wire cable. H-H-N-G.

Never use the ground as a current carrying conductor. Never.
If it worked before you worked on it. You did something wrong.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Electric Panel/ Circuit Breaker Box dankreboot Electrical 3 12-16-2008 01:52 PM
Sub Panel SoxFan Electrical 2 12-02-2008 11:16 AM
Replace a service panel circuit breaker knockout? michigan_homeowner_2008 Electrical 6 05-22-2008 05:01 PM
Installing new circuit in panel - DIY? curls00 Electrical 18 03-13-2008 03:16 PM
breaker panel question chadvavra Electrical 11 08-10-2007 10:20 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts