110 Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 2 Post By Oldmaster

Old 05-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

110 help

I will start with what started this problem. I purchased a used air compressor 110, I plugged it in and it immediately blew the breaker so I thought. The plug-in that I used as an outside outlet that was hooked up off of the load side of a GFCI circuit so I checked the switch and it had been tripped but refused to reset. I went to my electrical box and found no circuit breakers that it been openedor tripped. now the problem is there is no power at the plug-in on the outside of the trailer, no power at the GFCI plug-in, and no power at the bathroom light as well as no power at the back bedroom light and the wall that shares the bathroom wall I have replaced a 20 amp breaker that made no lighter power go off in our home as well as a 15 amp breaker that did the same thing there are two new Breakers a new GFCI receptacle but I still have no power but it is only to the certain parts mainly the bathroom and 1/2 of the back bedroom anybody help point me in the right direction of where I need to look next
Bishop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,622

Re: 110 help

GFCI's don't trip on overload, just on ground fault. You seem to have a lot tied to that one breaker. What all was running when you plugged it in? Are you SURE it is 120v compressor? Turn ALL your breakers completely off one at a time and return them to the on position. Sometimes a tripped breaker won't appear to be tripped.
MTN REMODEL LLC and lenaitch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop75 View Post
I will start with what started this problem. I purchased a used air compressor 110, I plugged it in and it immediately blew the breaker so I thought. The plug-in that I used as an outside outlet that was hooked up off of the load side of a GFCI circuit so I checked the switch and it had been tripped but refused to reset. I went to my electrical box and found no circuit breakers that it been openedor tripped. now the problem is there is no power at the plug-in on the outside of the trailer, no power at the GFCI plug-in, and no power at the bathroom light as well as no power at the back bedroom light and the wall that shares the bathroom wall I have replaced a 20 amp breaker that made no lighter power go off in our home as well as a 15 amp breaker that did the same thing there are two new Breakers a new GFCI receptacle but I still have no power but it is only to the certain parts mainly the bathroom and 1/2 of the back bedroom anybody help point me in the right direction of where I need to look next
I realize this isnt the grammar or punctuation forum, but... periods, commas, sentences, and using paragraphs to separate your thoughts is helpful in clearly and concisely getting your point across.
The 1st thing I noticed is you said your gfi would not reset. That is an indication of a bad gfi.
I would follow Chandler48's advice as well as check that receptacle. If it is a gfi circuit, and everything you mentioned is downstream of that gfi receptacle, and it is bad, nothing else will have power.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Shaneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #4

A GFCI will not reset if there is no power.
lenaitch and chandler48 like this.
Oldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneyj View Post
I realize this isnt the grammar or punctuation forum, but... periods, commas, sentences, and using paragraphs to separate your thoughts is helpful in clearly and concisely getting your point across.
The 1st thing I noticed is you said your gfi would not reset. That is an indication of a bad gfi.
I would follow Chandler48's advice as well as check that receptacle. If it is a gfi circuit, and everything you mentioned is downstream of that gfi receptacle, and it is bad, nothing else will have power.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
As long as you brought it up its worth mentioning that 110 volt service went out with model T fords. 120v is what you're dealing with, not 110.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,982

Could be a lot of different things, and at first there may be more questions then answers.
No one here know what size compressor your trying to run, so way to know what the starting amps are.
Just guessing this may be an older trailer to have that may circuits ran off of one line.
Modern codes would have called for the bathroom to be on it's own 20 amp. GFI protected circuit.
Outside outlets would have to be on a 20 amp. GFI protected circuit
Any older mobile home I've ever seen used the cheapest outlets they could find and always where back stabbed, instead of the wire around the screw causing a poor connection and issues anytime with a high load was use.
EG: One of the main reasons for trailer fires is people trying to use an A/C, or space heater on a 15 circuit.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,590

That's why you need AFCI breakers in trailers. Note that the legislation that defines the FEMA trailer standard requires 2005 NEC, and specifically cancels out those very modest AFCI requirements.

OP what happened is you had a "fuse" burn out between the GFCI and the service panel. By "fuse" I actually mean a poor connection at a device. Lucky for you, it just plain burned out dead, instead of ferociously arcing until it burned the trailer down. Check the hot and neutral on the GFCI LINE inputs, and also check the hot and neutral of that circuit where it attaches in the panel. You're looking for loose screws, backstabs (very unreliable), scorched wires, burned spots on the wires, anything like that.

If you find it, undo the connection, clean the soot off the wires, and reattach. Don't use backstabs.

If there had been a backstab, don't cut the wire, twist it out. That way you can inspect it and find the problem from the arcing and soot. Never reuse a backstab, pulling the wire out damages the spring.

If the cable it comes in on has a red and black wire, then turn off both the red and black breaker, and check out every receptacle and switch that is now dead.

Last edited by seharper; 05-02-2020 at 07:29 PM.
seharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement