100 Amp Jumper - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Justin_99

Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

100 Amp jumper

When I had my home built I had the electrician run a 100 amp alum line to the outside of my garage so that We could power a shop at a later time. I know have the shop. Do I need to put the panel on the house or can I do some sort of extension connection I need to go an additional 30' to the shop where there I want a breaker box. Help would be appreciated.
omat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 462

Re: 100 Amp jumper

Please explain????

"additional 30' to the shop" Did you build a shop and it is in a separate location from your garage and 30 feet away from the end of that wire?????

"Do I need to put the panel on the house"
Is this where your main electric panel is? Are you considering doing this and not use that 100 amp wire to your garage at all? Is that the question?

Are you going to get an electrical permit?
Bondo and MTN REMODEL LLC like this.
Justin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Let me explain a little more. I have a 100 amp wire ran to a box which has no posts just protects the wire. I would like to extend this to a shop that I just finished which is about 30 feet away. I would put a 100 amp breaker box in the shop. In my main home breaker box I have a 100 amp breaker that is ran to just outside of the garage. I assume I will need a junction box here then continue the run to the shop. As far as permit it is not needed I am in the country and no city or county code is required. But I want to keep this to code.
omat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 462

I would run a new wire from the house to the shop.... But first search for voltage drop calculator (google.com) to be sure you buy a large enough wire based on the total distance and load.

You may want to hire an electrician to do this initial installation and calculation. If the wire is not large enough, you may plug in something like an air compressor and it will just hum. Well worth it to do it right from the get go.

P.S. When you sell a house, they like to see building and electrical permits for additions. Insurance companies like to see permits - inspected and passed for additions as well. Or in other words, I've heard some people have had problems when selling if work was done without having a permit. You area may be lawless and different? But many areas are this way!

Last edited by Justin_99; 04-11-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Justin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 348

If the electrician ran the correct size wire to the outside of the garage, all you have to do is splice these wires to the new wires you will bury going to the shop.
Of course these splices must be in a suitable enclosure.

Use the search function for this forum using the title "sub Panel".
This is clearly one of the most discussed subjects here.

I would use the cable already installed and size the feeder to it, should it not be 100 amp worthy.
And lets hope he ran 4 wires and not three?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Red Seal Electrician

Rewards Points: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by omat13 View Post
As far as permit it is not needed I am in the country and no city or county code is required.
Not sure which country you are in. In Canada the inspection regime for rural areas is either a Provincial inspector, or a Supply Authority inspector. Living out in the country doesn't exempt anyone from an electrical inspection. Perhaps an American electrician can chime in on the U.S. situation.

Cheers,
Brian
Old Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement