1 Hp General Purpose Motor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

1 Hp General Purpose Motor

Will a power inverter run a 1 hp motor and if so what size? Motor is driving another pulley and LRA is bout 53 amps and continuous is 9 amps.
Livewire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

It depends on the type of inverter, the DC source, and what type of load the motor is driving.

To get full starting torque from the motor, the inverter would need to be true sine wave, and be able to produce 6000 watts for as long as it takes the motor to come up to speed.

If it's just a basic modified sine wave inverter and the motor is driving a load that's fairly easy to start, a 3000 watt one would very likely do. You'd need pretty good sized batteries (like an 8D, or two or three 29H in parallel) and very short DC leads. 3/0 or so, and not more than 2' long, shorter is better.

Induction motors will produce about 85% of their nameplate HP continuously on modified sine wave, 100% for a few minutes. They'll run slightly slower, hotter, and make more noise than usual.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

What type of motor and what type of inverter are you talking about? Single phase or three phase? We need more information. Specific information. Lets start with "what are you trying to accomplish"?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #4

single phase and 120 vac. I was thinking about buying a 12000/6000 watt inverter 12vdc to 120vac. I have a deep cycle marine battery 12v 185 Amp Hour. But your saying that I'll need more batteries, so I'll guess I'll buy another battery. I tried a inverter made by chicago electrical 4000/2000 and it didn't work. The math was there for the continous. 2000/120 = around 16 amps. I was powering it off the house and it was only drawing 9 amps. I know 4000 wouldn't have covered startup.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are aware with that big of inverter normally they will come in 24 or 36 VDC so you will denftaly need more than just one big deep cycle battery the current draw on DC side is very high during the start up the motor I am figureing about 250 amp @ 24 VDC { based on 6000 watts } and you will need pretty large conductors on low voltage side you will need to use at least 120 or 150 mm˛ { 4/0 or 300KCM } keep the low voltage cable run short as possible due they are very senstive to voltage drop.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
If you are aware with that big of inverter normally they will come in 24 or 36 VDC so you will denftaly need more than just one big deep cycle battery the current draw on DC side is very high during the start up the motor I am figureing about 250 amp @ 24 VDC { based on 6000 watts } and you will need pretty large conductors on low voltage side you will need to use at least 120 or 150 mm˛ { 4/0 or 300KCM } keep the low voltage cable run short as possible due they are very senstive to voltage drop.

Merci,Marc
I'm not worried about start up capacity at this point I just need to know if the 6000 watts continuous side will keep it in perfect motion. But your right I need to check and see if it is equiped with 24 or 36vdc. The 250 amp your referring to are you talking about cranking amps or amp hours? How many batteries do you recommend and how many amp hours each? Thanks in advance. One other thing, in my original post I said that I first tried it with a 4000/2000 watt inverter, stupid question probably but do you think it was a shortage of battery instead of the inverter?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

If a 185 A/H battery was fairly new, hadn't been mistreated, was fully charged, was over 70F but under 90F, and had very short cables at least 3/0, it might start a 1HP motor. Maybe not though, kinda questionable.

It would depend a lot on what the inverter does with low input voltage. A lot of them will turn off instantly if the voltage drops below about 10. It's pretty hard to maintain 10 volts to an inverter when the current is 400-500 amps.

Inexpensive inverters tend to give up easily, ones designed for high inrush loads will fare better.

A 1HP motor is pushing the limits of a 12 volt supply. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the system needs to be carefully designed.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Livewire78.,

I just want to clear up a detail or two along the way.

The 250 amp which I am refering to the current drawage not the battery amp hour rating at all.

The other question is how long you will plan to run the motor on inveter power mode ?? if more than few minutes you may want to think about battery size due the current drawage it will run the battery down fast if not carefull with it.

If you are talking about a straght 12 or 24 volt DC motor yeah there is one on market.

I will post a link refering to this manufacter do make DC motor and it will draw far less current than inverter will use with 120VAC motor

Here the link.,

http://www.leeson.com/Products/produ...owvoltage.html

Hope that help you with that question.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement