1/2 HP Pump Motor Squeals And Blows Fuses - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

1/2 HP Pump Motor Squeals and Blows Fuses

This is the motor on a Goulds S5 Jet Pump. The motor has been squealing but otherwise pumping properly until recently when it started blowing fuses. I suspected the shaft was binding causing more amps to be drawn but it did not appear to be. The blowing does *not* occur on startup but after the pump has been running awhile.
Maybe this is a plumbing question but I thought I would start here.
The motor seals look OK, but there must be a bearing issue. Maybe water is shorting out part of a winding??
This is very frustrating. Any ideas? (Looks like a new motor will be needed in any case.)
Thanks.
Frank
frank1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Sounds like shot bearings to me. They get hot and then seize up after the motor's been running a while. Bearings seize, current draw spikes up, fuse blows.

Last edited by McSteve; 09-09-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Not breaker, fuse
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #3

That must be exactly what is happening. I did a hand rotation of the shaft with a cold motor. Looks like new motor time. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

It the time to get new motour for your pump the bearing is pretty much done for it.

Some of the Jet pumps you can get the motour itself or just get the whole thing at once depending on the price. { most peoples I know they useally get the whole thing and not worry about leak etc etc }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Bearings Are Not Hard to Replace

I have a couple of small 1 1/2, 2 and 3 horse motors around that I use for pumping irrigation water. I use to do the same thing and when the bearings went out I would replace the motor. One winter I was looking at a pile of motors with bad bearings and decided to change them, it really is pretty easy after you do it and there are a ton of videos on you tube. Bearings are probably like ten bucks for good ones and then there is your time. I have motors that have used up several sets of bearings and a capacitor or two and they are still running, I would hate to think of how many hours they have run.
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

I had considered replacing bearings as well but the bearing in question is at the front end of this AO Smith motor and the front end doesn't appear to come off, which would just compound the grief. So I opted for a new Smith motor, about $135 with shipping from e-motor (about 1/2 of what I was quoted from a Goulds dealer.) I would still have to get new seals and impeller, another $50. So for $185 I still have a pump that beats the Flotec crap from HD, and is about half the price of a new Goulds. So I'm happy.
The thing for both of us to do is not let things go when the pump starts to weep around the shaft seal and replace it right away. I never seem to learn.
BTW this jet pump is used for irrigation too.
Thanks for your good advice!
Frank
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just give you a head up with jet pump the motour shaft where the impeller is located there is useally no nuts on them they are threaded on.

Few case I have some customer called me stated the motor act super werid when they change from 120 volts to 240 volts and useally what happend that someone was not pay attetion to the #5 and the #8 motour leads they transponded which it ran in reverse and the impeller actally did came off

So that one of few quirks you have to watch out on some Jet pumps is never let it run backward under power mode.

Two thing useally do in reverse mode is reduce the water flow and will make heckva a noise.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement