Wood Stove Door Gasket Replacement - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 106

wood stove door gasket replacement

I replaced the gasket rope on my Englander 17-vl for the first time this summer with Imperial 5/8" dia but it does not create a tight seal. I also noticed the rope isnt as rigid as the original Englander rope but's it's the 5/8" required dia.
It's summer so I haven't lit the wood stove to cure it per the instrux on the package. However, I cant get an answer from Imperial as to whether the curing will cause the rope to expand or stiffen to create a tight seal.
Does heating the gasket rope during the curing process cause it to expand? I dont want it to get cold, light a fire, and come to find there's not a tight seal when there's smoke billowing out the door into the house.
Nospammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,238

Re: wood stove door gasket replacement

If you got it from Englander it should work or else they would ( no pun ) have lots of complaints by now.

The rope is simulated asbestos so I doubt it will expand.

They should have a answer for you and it is in their best interests or else they could be legally liable for selling a unsafe product especially if someone gets CO poisioning.

BTW wood can produce CO as well as gas and oil and you should have 2 newer CO detectors.

One in the living area and another by your bedroom.

If all else fails and there is leakage you may be able to take some other gasket rope or flat fireplace gasket and glue it in the area to bulk it up and use red RTV silicone to attach it ( as a last measure and use at your own risk ).

Most fireplace stores should be able to get gasket material if they sell parts or you may find it on the net.
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 925

What percent of the door is not being sealed and what part? Is there any evidence of warpage on the door or frame?
Either you have warpage or the gasket is bunched up in some places and not others.
Maybe try the next larger gasket thickness?
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,440

What's the purpose of the door gasket? Wood stoves that draft correctly don't leak smoke at the door.

EDIT: Just watched a vid and it answered my question. That stove wasn't built for a good natural draft.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 08-27-2018 at 04:47 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #5

If you have well seasoned hardwood you can load up the stove before going to bed and, after it reaches a good roaring flame, you choke it way down so it burns slow all night.
If the door gasket leaks, the burn rate will be too high to last all night. The room will go up to 90 deg then drop like a rock in a few hours when the wood burns up.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
If you have well seasoned hardwood you can load up the stove before going to bed and, after it reaches a good roaring flame, you choke it way down so it burns slow all night.
If the door gasket leaks, the burn rate will be too high to last all night. The room will go up to 90 deg then drop like a rock in a few hours when the wood burns up.
My father knew to put a green piece of oak in at bedtime so there would be coals in the AM to quickly bring the stove up to temperature again. I suspect most of that knowledge has been lost.Mostly stoves of today aren't for the same purpose as a few decades ago so they aren't built alike.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 08-27-2018 at 05:32 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
My father knew to put a green piece of oak in at bedtime so there would be coals in the AM to quickly bring the stove up to temperature again. I suspect most of that knowledge has been lost.Mostly stoves of today aren't for the same purpose as a few decades ago so they aren't built alike.
I don't mean to take this way off topic but the care and feeding of wood stoves is so much more complex than meets the eye. Every stove installation is different.
What is lost is the art of critical thinking. You have to take into account a number of factors when firing a wood stove and, personally, I have found that it take at least 2 winters to gain a full understanding of how your particular wood stove performs in your particular building. This requires an understanding of all of the following items:
Type of stove i.e. catalyst or non
Thermostatic draft control (if any)
Diameter of flue pipe
Total flue height and type of flue insulation (if any)
Size of living space being heated
Amount of insulation of living space
Air circulation between stove and all living space
Type of wood (Oak burns way different from Poplar)
Firebox volume (how much wood can you stuff in there)
Moisture content of wood (how long has it been seasoned)
Expected outdoor temperature
Expected outdoor wind speed
Ease of flue access for cleaning (creosote removal)

Last edited by chiraldude; 08-27-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
englander , gasket , imperial , wood stove