WIFI Thermostat? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 278

WIFI thermostat?

I need some help wiring a WIFI thermostat. I am not sure if I should put this post here or in the electrical thread?

So the new WIFI thermostat needs a C wire & my present setup does not have a wire leading to the contact labeled C on my present thermostat setup so I need help in solving this issue by adding a C wire to the new thermostat. I added a pic of my present thermostat wiring.

The wire that comes from my heat pump has 8 colored wires in the bundle.
The wire that comes from my thermostat also has 8 colored wires in the bundle.

The green, black & orange wires in the bundle coming from the heat pump are not connected to anything. The orange & black wires in the bundle coming from the thermostat are not attached to anything.

The red wire in the bundle coming from the heat pump goes a wire nut that has wires that leads to 2 different places, one is attached via wire nut to the red wire leading to the thermostat & is connected to the small screw labeled R & the second wire is joined in the wire nut that leads to a circuit board.

The blue wire in the bundle from the heat pump goes to a wire nut that includes a blue wire that leads to the thermostat a is connected to the screw labeled O.

The white wire in the bundle from the heat pump goes to a wire nut that includes the white wire coming from the thermostat bundle labeled AUX.

The yellow wire from the heat pump bundle goes to a wire nut that includes a wire that looks like it goes to an overflow valve.

The brown wire in the bundle coming from the heat pump goes to a wire nut that includes a wire that leads to a circuit board.

The brown wire from the bundle coming from the thermostat labeled E goes to a wire nut that includes a wire that goes to somewhere in the air handler.

The yellow wire in the bundle from the thermostat labeled Y goes to a wire nut that includes a wire that looks like it leads to an overflow valve.

The green wire coming from the thermostat labeled G goes to a wire nut that includes a wire that goes to a circuit board.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
WIFI thermostat?-img_1316.jpg  
dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8,830

Re: WIFI thermostat?

You n ed another wire to get your C connected.

However. if your new thermostat doesn't have separate terminals for Aux and E/emergency heat. You can disconnect the brown wire at the air handler and make a jumper to go from the white wire to where the brown did. And then use the brown to get your common connection.
dommm (01-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You n ed another wire to get your C connected.

However. if your new thermostat doesn't have separate terminals for Aux and E/emergency heat. You can disconnect the brown wire at the air handler and make a jumper to go from the white wire to where the brown did. And then use the brown to get your common connection.

The new thermostat does have 1 terminal that combines Aux/E.

So are you saying I would need to run a new wire from somewhere? to the C terminal on the new thermostat? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,444

Do you plan on adjusting the temperature setpoint frequently using the new thermostat?
If so I caution you, as this can increase your electric bill by using the electric heat more often.
If you want to adjust the temperature make sure to get a thermostat that can lock out auxiliary heat.
You would put a jumper between E and W and use the brown wire as your common. But you’d have to reland it at the air handler.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
dommm (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
The new thermostat does have 1 terminal that combines Aux/E.

So are you saying I would need to run a new wire from somewhere? to the C terminal on the new thermostat? Thanks

Not if you use the brown wire for C.
dommm (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Do you plan on adjusting the temperature setpoint frequently using the new thermostat?
If so I caution you, as this can increase your electric bill by using the electric heat more often.
If you want to adjust the temperature make sure to get a thermostat that can lock out auxiliary heat.
You would put a jumper between E and W and use the brown wire as your common. But you’d have to reland it at the air handler.
This house is in south Florida so not to often heat is called for but if it is called for, will both the heat strip in the air handler & the heat pump turn on at the same time? I think that the way it is set up presently, when heat is called for either the heat pump turns to heat or the emergency heat strip in the air handler turns on but not both at the same time. Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm a bit confused? Are you referring to the brown wire at the thermostat that is connected to the E terminal?
Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
I'm a bit confused? Are you referring to the brown wire at the thermostat that is connected to the E terminal?
Thanks

Yes..
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
So just to be sure, remove the brown wire from the E terminal of the thermostat & connect the wire to the terminal C instead? Thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
So just to be sure, remove the brown wire from the E terminal of the thermostat & connect the wire to the terminal C instead? Thanks

You also need to disconnect it from the emergency heat terminal/wire at the air handler, and then connect it to the common terminal/wire of the air handler.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
You also need to disconnect it from the emergency heat terminal/wire at the air handler, and then connect it to the common terminal/wire of the air handler.
Problem solved, I used the spare blake wire at the thermostat to connect to the C terminal & on the air handler side the same thing & we are in business. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement