What Would Cause A Condensor Unit To Trip 20a Breaker? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

What would cause a condensor unit to trip 20a breaker?

13 year old heatpump, York ,SC, R22, has a 20amp breaker that tripped yesterday. Before that it had a blown capacitor and the potential relay was fused (REPLACED). Is this a sign that my compressor is on it's last breath?OHM READINGS; 0.9, 1.5 and 2.4 so seems good right? Also tested for ohms from copper pipe to each leg and all read 0L. So why did breaker trip? just a fluke? maybe the replaced capacitor and relay are no good? American Standard model 2A6B3024A1000AA. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
heatpump man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 58

Re: What would cause a condensor unit to trip 20a breaker?

check the running amp draw after 10 to 15 minutes.

the compressor may check out okay electrically but can draw excess current if it's getting tighter. the internal thermal overload is supposed to open before the breaker trips but you never know.

if it was running in cooling mode when it tripped, make sure the outdoor fan motor is working properly (is to getting up to speed? struggling starting?) and the coil is clean.

if it was running in heating mode, check the filter and blower for dust/dirt buildup, make sure vents are not blocked.

edit: saw other thread, new furnace - blower speed may be wrong for heatpump.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2020, 11:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

Re: What would cause a condensor unit to trip 20a breaker?

Could also be overcharged or there could be a wire that has rubbed against some metal or your compressor could have a very slight short to ground that your meter isn't able to pick up, or it could be something else.

My guess, based on the past problems, is that it's probably time for a new system.
bfrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement