What Is The Purpose Of A Bleeder Duct? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

What is the purpose of a bleeder duct?

Hi,
I have a forced air heating/AC in my 2 story home. The main ductwork is in the basement, and easily accessible; there is a main rectangular trunk line that feeds the various rooms using 4 to 7" flexible duct with manual dampers coming off the main line. One of the 4" lines coming off the main trunk is called a "bleeder" on the house plans. From the drawing, it appears to end under the master bathroom floor, in the garage ceiling. I can't access that area as it is covered in drywall. Also, there should be insulation inside the bathroom floor/garage ceiling.
My question is, what is the purpose of a duct that's called a "bleeder", and appears to just end without a vent between a garage ceiling/bathroom floor?
I would expect the insulation would block any airflow, but I don't know for sure what's in there. Should this damper be left open, or closed? I am having problems getting enough air flow to our master bedroom, which is above the garage, I'm trying to figure out if this "bleeder" duct is part of the problem.
Petetheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement