Turning Gas Off At Meter, Steps To Turn Back On - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By yuri
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 03-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Turning gas off at meter, steps to turn back on

I am finishing up installing a direct vent gas fireplace in my family room. I now need to make the gas connection. I am connecting to an existing tee that is just downstream of the meter. I see where you can turn the valve at the meter to turn off the gas, which I will do when installing the line.

Is turning the gas back on as simple as flipping the valve back? I have newer appliances and furnaces (2009 is the oldest). Will I have to re-light pilots for any of these? Will lines need to be bled or anything like that?
ndgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 202

Re: Turning gas off at meter, steps to turn back on

If you have a gas water heater then you may need to relight the pilot.

They use a very tiny pilot now and yeah you could get a bad airlock and have a hard time lighting it.

The furnace should be able to purge it's own line and if it locks out from too many tries then shut off the power and it will reset the circuit board and then retry. Or turn to Off at the thermostat and then back to heat.

Steps to follow:

VERY slowly open the gas valve at the meter . Reason being if you open it quickly you can damage the meter or the diaphram in the pressure regulator ahead of it. You may hear a slight thunk as the meter fills with gas and that is OK.

Then go to the water heater and with a basement window open slightly open the gas line union B4 it and wait until you smell a whiff of gas. Then close it.

If you have lots of gas pouring out then you need to ventilate the room and should try to.

Then light the pilot and it may take several tries as there is still air in the gas valve and line to it.

Try start the furnace and it may purge itself. May take a few cycles. If you have to then you can bleed the line B4 it but usually bleeding the line to the water heater gets most of the air out.

With the fireplace you may need to manually bleed it if you have a long gas line to it. If it is a short run then usually you can bleed it thru the pilot.

If you are using Propane then you need to be VERY VERY careful as it is heavier than air and settles and stays at the floor level so you MUST thoroughly ventilate the room.

FINAL Step: Check all your connections for leaks with warm soapy water and the unions or gas flex connection if you opened it to bleed air out.
ndgregor likes this.

Last edited by yuri; 03-06-2020 at 09:40 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgregor View Post
I am finishing up installing a direct vent gas fireplace in my family room. I now need to make the gas connection. I am connecting to an existing tee that is just downstream of the meter. I see where you can turn the valve at the meter to turn off the gas, which I will do when installing the line.

Is turning the gas back on as simple as flipping the valve back? I have newer appliances and furnaces (2009 is the oldest). Will I have to re-light pilots for any of these? Will lines need to be bled or anything like that?
Unless you install a gas line trap I recommend opening the valve for a couple of seconds before making the final connection to blow out any debris. But I do recommend the trap if possible.

Yes, all pilots will need to be re- lit.
Attached Images

ndgregor likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 52

Thank you for the feedback. I have a gas oven/stove, furnace, fireplace and hot water heater all running on natural gas so. Hopefully the air bleeds out fairly easily!
ndgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 202

It bleeds out easily and smells like rotten eggs/Sulphur as it has mercaptan odor added to it by the gas company.

Just make sure you ventilate the area when done and use common sense.
Advertisement