Thermostat Keeps Turning Off - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Thermostat keeps turning off

My Honeywell smart thermostat keeps turning off/back on (no heat). Link below to exact thermostat.

I've done some basic troubleshooting...
-Thermostat has worked fine for past 6 months..
-Thermostat doesn't turn off/back on, if I leave the heat mode in off.
-Once I turn the heat on, I hear a click at the thermostat (almost sounds like a relay), and the thermostat reboots. It will keep doing this until I turn the heat mode back to off.
- I've already turned the furnace off for about 30 mins to see if it would fix itself
-Gas furnace, if that makes a difference
This is a newly purchased home (from the 60's), so the seller bought a 1 year home warranty. I had the furnace repaired under warranty a couple of months ago. It costs 100 to make a claim, but if the same device keeps failing it's free for the following 6 months (I already paid 100 a couple months ago). Is the problem likely the furnace sending a code to the thermostat and killing it? (I know very little about furnaces, but I read that a furnace can kill power if it's getting an overeat code?). Or is the thermostat likely dead? When I had the furnace repaired, they replaced the motherboard/computer and a couple of switches.

If I call, and it ends up being the thermostat, I will be charged 100. The thermostat is only about 5 months old (I installed it) so that would be under manufactures warranty.
Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Sma...art+thermostat

Last edited by Erikz; 03-12-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarify
Erikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #2

Re: Thermostat keeps turning off

Is there a way that I can safely pull the base off, and jump certain wires to see if the furnace starts (I also have a multimeter if voltage is a concern).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Hvac contractor

Rewards Points: 578

did you go through the subroutine to set the stat up for your particular furnace?

did you connect a common wire between the furnace and the stat?
jeff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #4

All I did was connect the wires. It worked fine for like 5 months, so I would assume it's hooked properly.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Hvac contractor

I guess you need to qualify what you mean by "My Thermostat keeps turning on and off"

are you saying your stat is turning on and off. Like the display is going away and then coming back on?

OR

the furnace is turning on and off.

It's kinda unusual for a stat to be turning on & off without the equipment being effected
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00 View Post
I guess you need to qualify what you mean by "My Thermostat keeps turning on and off"

are you saying your stat is turning on and off. Like the display is going away and then coming back on?

OR

the furnace is turning on and off.

It's kinda unusual for a stat to be turning on & off without the equipment being effected
Yes, the entire thermostat will reboot.. off then back on. Heat is not coming on at all. If I turn the heat mode to off, the thermostat will stay on forever. About 5 seconds after I turn the thermostat to heat mode, I hear a click (relay), and the thermostat reboots. Once the thermostat reboots, I believe there is a safety timer built in, so it will say "waiting for equipment" for a few minutes. Almost as soon as that goes away, heat displays, then i hear a click again, and the stat reboots. It will keep doing this until I turn heat off. It has been working fine for about 5 months.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Hvac contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikz View Post
Yes, the entire thermostat will reboot.. off then back on. Heat is not coming on at all. If I turn the heat mode to off, the thermostat will stay on forever. About 5 seconds after I turn the thermostat to heat mode, I hear a click (relay), and the thermostat reboots. Once the thermostat reboots, I believe there is a safety timer built in, so it will say "waiting for equipment" for a few minutes. Almost as soon as that goes away, heat displays, then i hear a click again, and the stat reboots. It will keep doing this until I turn heat off. It has been working fine for about 5 months.

Thanks
go get a new thermostat, if it's only 5 months old it should be under warranty. I never heard of a stat doing that. something is messed up in that thing?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 80

Did you connect common ("C")? If you haven't, do so. If you haven't checked the batteries, change them.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #9

Dude ou ever figure what the problem was? I'm experiencing the same issue with my Honeywell smart thermostat as well
TommySalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySalami View Post
Dude ou ever figure what the problem was? I'm experiencing the same issue with my Honeywell smart thermostat as well
The OP hasnít been here in 3 years. Best to start your own thread rather then resurrect an old one.
What thermostat? Do you have a common?
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement