Slab Evaporator In An Upflow Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Slab Evaporator in an upflow furnace

All,
Can I use a slab Evaporator in an upflow furnace? (laying it flat, not "vertical" like photos I see online of horizontal attic furnace installations) I have a very tall furnace with only about 13-14" between the top of the furnace and where the two trunks T off. (furnace in center of basement - Ranch home) Most(all) of the A-coils I have found are too tall. And if not too tall (height wise), they're too large (dimensional) without a complete re-work of the main trunk and secondary trunks. I have found a few slab coils that are about 10-12" "thick" and I can make work without trashing the entire trunk. (assuming a flat/horizontal configuration is acceptable)
Thank you
swamper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 94

Re: Slab Evaporator in an upflow furnace

No you can't use a slab coil flat because the condensate would leak into the furnace.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #3

ok thank you. Is that the function of the "A" in A-coil? the coils are angled in such a way that the condensate drips down to the sides and is funneled away in the bottom tray?

Any suggestions for this particular issue or am I stuck gutting/reworking my whole main trunk to fit a standard A-coil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper8 View Post
Any suggestions for this particular issue or am I stuck gutting/reworking my whole main trunk to fit a standard A-coil?

Good opportunity to upgrade your furnace. Most new upflow 92% + furnaces are about 33" high leaving plenty of room for a standard "A" coil. Probably a lot easier too.
57TinkerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

It is a prime opportunity but I just hate getting rid of this furnace. It's been very dependable and honestly my heating bill is never more than $150 a month even in the dead of winter. I suppose if I were getting 300-600 heating bills, upgrading to something more efficient would be a motivator.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #6

Rheem Multiflex Coil 2.5 and 3 Ton are 13.8" tall. Don't know what capacity you need.

https://www.gemaire.com/rheem-rcba-3...specifications
Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

Looks like the Rheem 3.5 and 4 ton coils are 13.8" too. Might be tough to fit on top of your furnace without some sort of transition though.

https://www.gemaire.com/rheem-rcba-4...specifications
Old 05-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57TinkerMan View Post
Rheem Multiflex Coil 2.5 and 3 Ton are 13.8" tall. Don't know what capacity you need.

https://www.gemaire.com/rheem-rcba-3...specifications
Having the top of the coil too close to the top of the plenum may cause airflow issues.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to be in the 1.5-2 ton range. Presumably smaller so you'd think it'd be no problem to find a more compact evaporator. I will check out those companies other offerings though.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #10

All the coils have gotten bigger to meet minimum efficiency requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement