Rewiring Furnace To Its Own Branch Circuit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 113

Rewiring Furnace to its own branch circuit

I recently discovered that my furnace is on the same circuit as several other things in my home. And I've also learned that this is a violation of code per NEC
422.12:
Central Heating Equipment. Central heating equipment other than fixed electric space heating equipment shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.
My furnace is plugged into an outlet on this circuit. It is not directly wired. I believe this is also technically a violation of code (but appears to be common practice in some areas).

I'd like to run a new circuit to the furnace, and replace the outlet-and-plug with a hard-wired cable and shut off switch. I would like to make sure I do it correctly, safely and in a code-compliant manner.

My plan is as follows:
  1. Connect a new 14/2 NMC cable to an existing unused breaker in my panel and run this to the location where the existing outlet is located (attached to a truss next to the furnace).
  2. Install a metal box to contain the shut-off switch (in the same location where the outlet is currently installed).
  3. Use MC cable from the switch to the furnace - following the same path that the plug 'pigtail' currently follows. (I've read that the connection to the furnace needs to be 'armored' and can't just be NMC.)

A couple of questions (see photo below for reference).
  1. Is it ok to secure the MC cable to the A/C refrigerant lines that lead down the side of the furnace - to prevent it from just danging there like the current pigtail wire?
  2. If the above is not ok, would it be better if I ran the cable under the plywood floor and came UP from the floor to the furnace? And mount the disconnect switch directly to the side of the furnace?

Any and all suggestions on how to do this as simply and correctly as possible are appreciated.

Thanks!,
-Fritz
Attached Thumbnails
Rewiring Furnace to its own branch circuit-20181110_221846-annotated.jpg  
fritzycat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Re: Rewiring Furnace to its own branch circuit

tl;dr

My furnace needs to be on it's own circuit. Looking for recommendations and guidance on how to do it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzycat1 View Post
tl;dr

My furnace needs to be on it's own circuit. Looking for recommendations and guidance on how to do it correctly.
Some one will be along shortly.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzycat1 View Post

My plan is as follows:
  1. Connect a new 14/2 NMC cable to an existing unused breaker in my panel and run this to the location where the existing outlet is located (attached to a truss next to the furnace).
  2. Install a metal box to contain the shut-off switch (in the same location where the outlet is currently installed).
  3. Use MC cable from the switch to the furnace - following the same path that the plug 'pigtail' currently follows. (I've read that the connection to the furnace needs to be 'armored' and can't just be NMC.)

A couple of questions (see photo below for reference).
  1. Is it ok to secure the MC cable to the A/C refrigerant lines that lead down the side of the furnace - to prevent it from just danging there like the current pigtail wire?
  2. If the above is not ok, would it be better if I ran the cable under the plywood floor and came UP from the floor to the furnace? And mount the disconnect switch directly to the side of the furnace?

Any and all suggestions on how to do this as simply and correctly as possible are appreciated.

Thanks!,
-Fritz

Running it along with the refrigerant lines is common.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 70

Your plan sounds fine.

I'd throw a 2x4 in for support of the wire. It's common to strap it to the refrigerant lines, but I don't think it's code. (refrigeration or electrical codes)

Here we need to have armored cable from the switch to the furnace like you said, however, your codes could be different.

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the input and suggestions! I think I'll add the 2x4 support as supers05 suggested. The refrigerant line doesn't seem all that sturdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement