Replacement Motor For Keeprite KSSD2400 Condenser - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KionoAW

Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Replacement motor for Keeprite KSSD2400 condenser

I have a 90s era Keeprite KSSD2400 condenser, it's been bullet proof but over the last few days I've noticed a bit of a grindy sound coming from it. It continues to cool well but in trying to be a good neighbor I am taking steps to resolve the noise issue (and probably save myself from a failure in the near future). It contains a Emerson K55HXNYG-7190 motor - specs are HP 1/6, 230V, 1.5AMP, 1PH, RPM 1050/2SPD, Part No "120240" - manufactured in 1992.

I have taken apart the condenser and removed a furry friend who got into the contacts. Nothing is loose - I've come to the conclusion the grind is coming from the motor itself which is "sealed", I took it apart and lubed it in what I believe are all the right places but couldn't get into the bearings. The noise is not as bad as it was but still not acceptable to me.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a compatible replacement motor? The current one has 4 wires - red/black/brown/white.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
KionoAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 36

Re: Replacement motor for Keeprite KSSD2400 condenser

You can try to find a 2-speed replacement or go for a generic single speed and take the thermostat which switches between low and high out of the circuit.

There are multi-hp motors with two speed taps, but usually the low tap is equivalent to 1/5 to 1/6hp, would spin at full speed and the high tap shouldn't be used.

Rotom R31672 is supposed to be a direct replacement for what you have. See attached pic.

edit: http://www.bulbscanada.com/index.php...oduct_id=13683
says discontinued.

there could be others.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement motor for Keeprite KSSD2400 condenser-keeprite-motor.jpg  
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 05-28-2020 at 11:02 AM.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
dj3

Rewards Points: 78

You have the existing motor specs so you can locate an after market replacement. Fasco is a good source, and is less money.
Remember, a motor is nonreturnable, so double check.
The installation is straight forward - they way you take the old motor out is the reverse of the way you put the new motor in.
Hope this helps.
dj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses, I'm currently weighing my options as none of the motors I have found online match my specs exactly. Timing is slightly sensitive as well so I'm trying to locate something that could be in my hands in less than a week (I'm in Canada).

I do have a local company trying to source the discontinued ROTOM motor but I suspect they'll come up lame, maybe they can provide a compatible replacement.

I also spoke with an HVAC guy about my predicament who mentioned the direct replacement motor is next to impossible to source and went on to give me some history as to why, afterwards explaining my best bet for would be to install a single speed motor as already suggested. Price quoted was $85 for the trip and $325 for parts and labor, roughly $400 taxes in.

I will update this thread as to assist any future Keeprite owners once I've come to a resolution.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #5

Where are you in canada?

See if there's an amre supply close enough to you.

This plus matching capacitor should do the job: https://www.amresupply.com/part/12383822

$126.55 + $10ish for capacitor + tax.

You use the red wire for 1/6hp and tape off the black.

Verify rpm, shaft size, etc before buying.

For specific wiring instructions (bypassing the stat, etc) I would need to see a clear pic of the schematic.

Do make sure the existing fan blade is properly tightened to the shaft before spending money as the noise may not be from the bearings.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #6

I checked with my local Amresupply and picked up a Emerson Rescue 1/6 -1/3HP Condenser Fan Direct Drive Motor 5.6" Dia. 1075 RPM, 208/230V - SKU 5462 as it seemed to match every spec - thank you for that.

I replaced the motor on Sunday and things are now running nice and quiet. Thanks to the knowledgeable members of this forum I kept quite a few dollars in my jeans, you guys rock!
user_12345a likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

Did you take the thermostat out of the circuit?

For 1/6hp load remember, the motor isn't really 2-speed.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #8

Hello,

Thanks for following up - to not complicate matters I opted to wire exactly as the previous motor was installed except I taped off the brown/white lead coming out of the new motor and I cleaned up the contacts on the original capacitor (this is a before pic). Circled in red are the wires from the motor. The cap specs on the old cap are exactly what the new motor calls for.

Is there any problems with what I have done (or how it was installed originally?).
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement motor for Keeprite KSSD2400 condenser-wiring.png  

Last edited by KionoAW; 06-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #9

The new motor is effectively a single speed on a 1/6hp load.

To function as a 2-speed with red being significantly slower than 1075 rpm, would need a 1/4 to 1/3 hp load.

When black is energized instead of red, the motor doesn't speed up if at all. Some say it's not so good to have double the required hp - shortens motor life, more heat, etc.

Best to just bypass the thermostat and wire it as the single speed motor it effectively is.

Each tap is actually a hp tap, red is the recommended one when replacing 1/6 and 1/5 hp motors.

-----------
Did you change the capacitor when changing the motor? It's wise to do so.

Also, normally the run winding (red or black) is wired on the same side as the start winding (brown wire).

I'm unsure of what effect doing it the other way around is, it may just change the rotation.

Universal parts in general don't always get wired the same way as oem.

Last edited by user_12345a; 06-01-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #10

Ok - it will be a few days before I can get back out to open it up. Is it possible for you to elaborate on how to wire just the red for single speed based on what you see? Am I going straight into the contactor?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #11

Make sure the fan side of the capacitor has the right rating for the new motor. Even if it does - if you didn't change the capacitor, you really should.

Last edited by beenthere; 06-02-2020 at 03:16 AM. Reason: As per the posters request
Old 06-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #12

It sure did - this picture is before I changed anything - when replacing the motor I did switch the orange and yellow leads to get CW rotation and wired everything in the exact same configuration then ran the unit for about 5 min, as the last few days have been nice and cool there has not been a need to run it, but it works just fine. I will get rid of the black wire as described above.

I can replace the cap and move the connections but the one I purchased is a single (~12$) so I believe I would still need to keep the old dual cap for the compressor and then just jumper the common? Alternatively, I could pick up a dual ($30-50) but can't seem to find one on Amre that's 7.5MFD. Is there any risk to damaging the motor should the existing cap fail?
Old 06-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #13

Yes, you can use a separate cap and jumper it from the common.

Do check the motor schematic to make sure 7.5mf is the right cap for a 1/6hp load and 230v.

On amre it says 5mf for 230v application, 7.5 for 208v.

Important - I just checked the wiring diagram again and what I told you to do is wrong.

The speed/hp selection is actually done on the common side of the motor just like the old one. Explains why it worked.

Why the manufacturer chose to use white for the main run winding, i don't know. it's usually a common.

So leave it wired as is, but disconnect the thermostat from the contactor and connect the red on the same spot instead. Disconnect the black motor lead from the thermostat and tape it off.

Disconnect and tape off the black wire.

Sorry for the bad advice, I'm trying to get it removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement motor for Keeprite KSSD2400 condenser-motor-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by user_12345a; 06-01-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #14

No problem - I appreciate your knowledgeable feedback. I just checked the cap I bought with the motor and to my surprise it's actually a 5mf not 7.5mf, the stars have aligned so I should have this corrected in the next few days.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #15

The Cap was replaced and the unit has been running great for the last month+.

Thanks for the help guys.

I tried closing the thread but can't? Please feel free to close as this issue is resolved.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement