Radiator - No Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Radiator - no heat

I've got a 100-year-old, 3-story house with a gas boiler, 6 zones, and many radiators. Three on the second floor do not get hot. They probably are in the same zone, but honestly, it's hard to know where all the pipes go.

The boiler is working. All Thermostats are working. Air in the radiators is not the problem. The main feed lines in the crawl space are hot as are the individual feed lines, but not the return pipe from the 'bad radiators. I cannot feel any heat at the base of the 'bad radiators' were the water comes in.

I have hot water in the horizontal feed lines in the crawl space, but not 12 feet up the vertical pipes in the wall.

All my pipes are galvanized steel. Age unknown. I suspect corrosion is the issue and dread replacing pipes in the wall. I see drain plugs on the vertical pipes. Could they save me? Maybe the crude/sludge can be drained/removed there?

Could I drain the 'bad radiators' and ream out the vertical feed pipes? use a cleaning agent?

Yes. I want a quick, easy, cheap, short term fix. If that's not available what should I replace the galvanized pipes with? Pex?

Thanks in advance, Mike
mhudd100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 84

Re: Radiator - no heat

Please post some pics of your boiler. If all 3 radiators are on the same zone it may be a failing circulator.

thats why some pics would help. some have one main circulator, others have one for each zone.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

I'm having trouble getting you a good pic. The system is large, due to all the pipes. I have a Peerless PF-210 gas feed boiler. My system has a water pipe leaving the boiler. It splits into six pipes, each with it's own circulating pump.

I'm sure the problem is not any of the six circulating pumps. I can feel the pipes going to and leaving the pumps. They all are hot.

The 'bad radiators' are 20-40 yards away from the boiler. (it's a big house)

I can follow the pipes. They are hot. The feeder pipes leaving the main lines are hot. I lose access to pipes when they go up into the wall. I find them again as they enter the radiators. The pipes feeding the 'bad radiators' are cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #4

here are some pictures of the Peerless system.
Attached Thumbnails
Radiator - no heat-20200223_110851.jpg   Radiator - no heat-20200223_110836.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,198

Convection can make pipes hot quite a way from the heat source without any circulation. I would suspect a turned off valve, faulty circulator, or faulty solenoid valve.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no heat , radiator problems , radiators , water radiator