Preferred Make Of A/C For A Replacement? - HVAC - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 278
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
No, you cannot assume.
How did the unit run when it was extremely hot outdoors? Did it cycle? Or run constantly?
Can you hear and feel the indoor blower operate?
Does your home feel drafty?
Code for sizing is extremely regional, many areas still have no code for such things.
So far we have not had any complaints with or unit. The only reason I am considering on replacing it is the age of the unit. I'm just trying to be proactive. We only live at this address for the winter months & go north in the summer. I just don't want to have to deal with returning here during the summer to deal with a broken down system. Thanks

PS: are you aware if SE Florida has new home code for A/C installs?

PPS: I googled for FL code & I will answer my own question with yes FL builders do have to follow code for unit sizing, so as long as the builder followed code & since I have not changed anything structurally, 3.5 ton should be the correct size.

Last edited by dommm; 01-14-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: to add on
dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,739
Rewards Points: 4,494
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


The unit is just now turning 10 years old and your considering replacement for no real reason other then to avoid breakdowns?
I know Florida gets a lot of heat but I wouldn’t replace the unit. Not until you have good reason too.
Being in a place with lots of heat and humidity I’d consider a whole house dehumidifier to pair with the air conditioner. The dehumidifier will automatically run to maintain an acceptable humidity percentage without needing the air conditioner to operate.
Very useful during cool rainy conditions.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
dommm (01-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 278
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
The unit is just now turning 10 years old and your considering replacement for no real reason other then to avoid breakdowns?
I know Florida gets a lot of heat but I wouldn’t replace the unit. Not until you have good reason too.
Being in a place with lots of heat and humidity I’d consider a whole house dehumidifier to pair with the air conditioner. The dehumidifier will automatically run to maintain an acceptable humidity percentage without needing the air conditioner to operate.
Very useful during cool rainy conditions.
Interesting. The only reason I am thinking of replacing is because of possible breakdown while I'm north & the possibility that mold would set in before I found out & dealt with the issue. Are you saying that I could install a whole house dehumidifier in my air handler to keep the humidity low without even having to run the A/C? thanks
dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,739
Rewards Points: 4,494
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
Are you saying that I could install a whole house dehumidifier in my air handler to keep the humidity low without even having to run the A/C? thanks
Yes, exactly. Needs the air handler indoor blower to run though.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
dommm (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 278
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Yes, exactly. Needs the air handler indoor blower to run though.
So where would I start to get this done? Do A/C installers deal with this?
dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 278
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Yes, exactly. Needs the air handler indoor blower to run though.
So the water that the dehumidifier collects goes to the same drain pipe as the inside coil uses? Does the air handler fan need to run continuously or only when the dehumidifier is called on? Thanks
dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11,728
Rewards Points: 4,452
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
Interesting. The only reason I am thinking of replacing is because of possible breakdown while I'm north & the possibility that mold would set in before I found out & dealt with the issue.
Have you considered a remote monitoring system with a tech that would be willing to access the south residence and make repair corrections while you are north?
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
dommm (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 278
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Have you considered a remote monitoring system with a tech that would be willing to access the south residence and make repair corrections while you are north?
Not only did I consider your suggestion, I bought a temp & humidity monitoring system last spring before going north. I set the system up with my wifi & router & it worked perfect until it didn't lol. I could log in to the systems app & see the house specs from my laptop. The system lost connection at some point during the summer & it did not automatically reconnect so it was not a reliable solution for me. It is not so user friendly to reconnect so trying to ask someone to do it was not practical imo. Thanks
dommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New York State
Posts: 947
Rewards Points: 1,888
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
Not only did I consider your suggestion, I bought a temp & humidity monitoring system last spring before going north. I set the system up with my wifi & router & it worked perfect until it didn't lol. I could log in to the systems app & see the house specs from my laptop. The system lost connection at some point during the summer & it did not automatically reconnect so it was not a reliable solution for me. It is not so user friendly to reconnect so trying to ask someone to do it was not practical imo. Thanks

Had a similar problem with monitoring a vacation house. The router would hang, or maybe the DSL modem would hang from time to time. The solution was to put both of them on a simple plug-in timer that cut power for 15 minutes during the night so they would do a reset when power was restored. Never had a problem since.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RAL238 For This Useful Post:
dommm (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,739
Rewards Points: 4,494
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
So where would I start to get this done? Do A/C installers deal with this?
Yes, but only some work on and install them.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,739
Rewards Points: 4,494
Default

Re: Preferred make of A/C for a replacement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
So the water that the dehumidifier collects goes to the same drain pipe as the inside coil uses? Does the air handler fan need to run continuously or only when the dehumidifier is called on? Thanks
The dehumidifier installs external to the air handler on the ductwork. It can use the same drain as the air handler if required.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to make money from water Draco0601 Off Topic 3 07-01-2015 10:17 PM
Make RO smaller or Make RO bigger? antropovsky Windows and Doors 0 04-12-2014 12:57 PM
Changing Size of Replacement Window joside Remodeling 10 05-30-2012 04:46 PM
Best way to make a roof exit or door? swaff Roofing/Siding 5 10-22-2010 01:15 PM
Best way to make 45 degree mitre jig BobS0327 Carpentry 7 09-21-2010 11:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts