Phillips Lau Blower - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 12-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Phillips Lau Blower

Hi guys I'm new to this Forum but I'd like to ask a question...?

I recently moved into my dads house (he has Alziemers and is in a home now). The house is mine in the Wil so what better time to move into it right...? That said, The furnace in the house is an Olsen DM (Duo matic) HBS 105-5 furnace. Olsen is out of business and dont make them any more nor can you get parts for it. Heres the thing, the belt driven blower unit is a Phillips Lau A10-8 blower Unit. The shaft bearings are starting to go and need replacing. I've temporarily lubed them with white lithium grease until I can get either 1) a new blower unit (working on it with a guy from kijiji) or 2) New shaft and bearings. (AMRE Supply Vancouver Canada). It seems though that the bearing cradle on the blower doesn't have a bolt to loosen and open up the cradle so I can insert new bearings. I've had the blower out of the furnace and shook my head and said "How the hell am I gonna get those old bearings out of there...?" Does anybody have any advice or experience with this...?

Douglas
DouglasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 60

Re: Phillips Lau Blower

They just push out. There should be a keep holding them in. The keep is held onto the shaft by a set screws.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
They just push out. There should be a keep holding them in. The keep is held onto the shaft by a set screws.
There is a keep at one end of the shaft and the belt pulley on the other end. They are both held on by set screws. So if I understand what your saying, I would remove the belt off the pulley....take the pulley off the shaft....take the keep off the other end I should be able to take the shaft out...? "BUT"..is there a set screw holding the blower wheel on the shaft....?? "IF" so "only then" should I be able to pop out the bearings from the bearing bracket correct....??

Last edited by DouglasG; 12-29-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Yes, there will be either an Allen screw or 5/16 head bolt that holds the blower wheel fast.

Often, you don't need to remove the blower wheel to pull the bearing out.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

Ah, I seen that downstairs today when I went to soak the bearings in lubricant that I bought at Canadian Tire. Lubing is only a temporary fix for now till I'm able to determine the exact size bearings and shaft I need to repair it. So far as I know the shaft is 3/4"x 14" long. The bearings are 3/4" standard bore. But the width of the bearing I don't know...? I see what you mean by not having to take the blower out to replace the bearings. They must be inside a rubber sleeve as I seen online. I'm not sure if their pillow bearings......sleeve bearings of self aligning bearings...??
Old 12-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Basically usually just sleeve.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #7

I went downstairs again after my post and used a flashlight to get a good look and your right they seem to be sleeve bearings. So now its just to find the right width of bearing...?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Those will be pretty standard. Any HVAC supply house should stock them.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Those will be pretty standard. Any HVAC supply house should stock them.
AMRE supply out in British Columbia Canada is who I ordered a belt from. They have a lot of HVAC stuff and then some. I havn't found an Ontario supplier yet though. I live in Ontario, 4 hours north of Toronto. Capreol Ontario to be exact. I'll wing it for now and do the research. I just called a furnace guy to come out and give it a 21 point inspection tomorrow morning and or cleaning if needed. My only other concern is the heat exchanger. I want him to look for any weak or corroded spots in it. I don't want any possibility of carbon monoxide poisening. Other than that everything else I can pretty much replace.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:04 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

If its a bargain price inspection. They usually condemn the furnace, or try to upscale you on a humidifier or thermostat.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #11

Ya $147.77 taxes in. Back in November when I was in the process of emptying the house to move in I had a tech come out to tell me it was the blower bearings (as my brother suspected) he told us we would need a new furnace and that you can't get parts for it anymore. My brother said to me after the tech left to go online and you will be able to find bearings for the blower shaft. Thats how this whole thing started. So far I've educated myself about the furnace and its workings, and I am very mechanically inclined and understand mechanical concepts and how things work once I delve into what ever interests me.

Last edited by DouglasG; 12-30-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 188

The issue with that furnace is it is VERY in-efficient and will burn a lot more gas than a high efficiency furnace.

In Canada we don't/cannot sell standard or mid efficiency furnaces anymore.

The heat exchanger on some of those was very thick but they get brittle with old age and can crack and split wide open at ANY time. I worked on thousands of them.

Once you start getting some fuel bills you may think twice about replacing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Phillips Lau Blower-1.jpg   Phillips Lau Blower-3.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

https://www.grainger.com/product/3FD...g!439044420138!

http://airsupplyoutlet.com/oil-sleeve-bearings-34
Old 12-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 48

In vancouver upgrading to a more efficient furnace may not save very much.

If it comes to replacement and the house will be kept wise to just pull the plug on gas and get a heatpump with a little supplemental heat given a relatively low electric rate and mild climate. It's $20+ a month often just to have a gas meter.

Edit: wow hydro isn't too cheap any more in bc. what the heck happened?
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 12-30-2019 at 02:25 PM.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:03 AM   #15

Well the inspection went well. No cracks in the heat exchangers, he did a Carbon Monoxide air test. All good. The only real issue is those dam blower bearings thats all. I've hosed them with a good silicone lube to give them some more life till I can get the right bearings. The motor is fine. All electrical is good. But....its old it needs replacing and of course isn't very non-efficient. For the size of the house my dad had, the furnace puts out way to many BTU's. 105,000 to be exact. Its overkill. I'll have to replace it before next winter. $$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement