Only One Zone In A Two Zone System Working - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Only one zone in a two zone system working

Recently I've been having issues with my AC. First it was a leak in the line set and then it was the time delay module, back to back in two days.

Now I noticed that my zone two seems to be working only if I turn off the thermostat on floor 1. I am wondering if its the damper or damper motor or something else. How do I go about troubleshooting this? I don't mind paying for a tech to come fix it, but I'd like to understand the problem since most of them are trying to ask me to change the whole unit and I am not yet ready to take that plunge.

Thanks,
Ron
uptheirons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 08:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 918

Re: Only one zone in a two zone system working

There are many different zoning systems out there, what brand and model is yours? What's the brand/model of the thermostats?
57TinkerMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

sorry for the delay in responding. The thermostat and the controller are both by Beutler. There is no model number on the thermostat just a number 120-578B. Not sure if its the model number. The controller is ZTE2S.

I also noticed that when I turn on the 2nd floor thermostat, some times it makes the "click" sound and some times it doesnt.

Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 918

Not a lot of info that I could find. Seems the ZTE2S and the ZC2S use the same manual, does your control board look anything like this?

http://cache.smarthome.com/manuals/3038a.pdf
57TinkerMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

It looks similar. I will have to go to the attic again to take a picture to compare. Another thing I realized the other day when I was in the attic. The metal housing around what looked like the condensation coil was cut open (by the previous owner or a handyman hired by him) and was put together rather poorly. It was duct taped and was leaking real bad. I resealed it back using a metal tape I had lying around and then double sealed with duct tape. Now seems like the cooling is working ok. I wonder if this was the reason why very less air was flowing out of the registers.

I'll take a picture of the controller to see if it matches the one from the pdf and post here.

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
a/c , damper , hvac