Mini-Split Costs - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 168
Default

Mini-Split costs


I'm working on an unfinished second floor. I know it's a pretty wide open question, but I'll have a 15' x 15' bedroom with one unit and a 15' x 30' area with another unit. A local installer told me to expect to pay $9,000 for everything, the units, compressor and installation. He says it's typically $4,000 complete for each unit. Probably Mitsubishi brand.

Does that sound right?
mjhaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 206
Rewards Points: 306
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


I have no idea, but I bought a DIY unit called Mr Cool DIY for a second floor master bedroom that is about 250 square feet. The unit is 12k BTU and cost around $1300. I have not installed it yet but it has really good reviews online. Check it out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eholmes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 168
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


I would be okay doing any of the grunt work doing a DIY system, but when it comes to the final hook-ups and preparing the system, I'd rather leave that to a pro.

But I will check them out! Thanks.
mjhaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 206
Rewards Points: 306
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


The lines come precharged with refrigerant so installation is allegedly simple. No need to flare the lines or anything. Iím going to install it soon so Iíll find out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eholmes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eholmes77 For This Useful Post:
mjhaston (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,844
Rewards Points: 736
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


I don’t care for the diy brands of minis. And over 19 years in the hvac trade around 85-90% of the quick connect fittings I’ve come across have leaked refrigerant. I’d much rather have flair or sweat connections.
You want to be very careful with minis, they are extremely proprietary. Some of the cheap diy brands are considered disposable to a point where not much is available for them in terms of parts or support.
Cost is a regional thing. Get several quotes.
Do not buy the equipment yourself and have it installed. Either buy it and install it yourself or hire a contractor to supply and install the equipment. Buying it yourself without being able to work on it could put you in a bad spot as far as the warranty goes.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
mjhaston (02-15-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 548
Rewards Points: 1,094
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaston View Post
I would be okay doing any of the grunt work doing a DIY system, but when it comes to the final hook-ups and preparing the system, I'd rather leave that to a pro.

But I will check them out! Thanks.
What you are describing is a " rough install " by the homeowner . I have done that at two different houses with great results . Here is what I did in both cases , your own ability will determine how much of the install you want to do .

1.Mount the outside unit , must be level/plumb with clearances per manufacturer.
2.Mount the inside unit again per manufacturers recommendations.
3.Run drain line,communication electric and power lines again per manufacturer . I ran everything from the inside units to the outside units but didn't terminate at the outside unit.
4.Copper line sets: I am NOT a fan of the quick coupler style I prefer good old fashion flares . So I had the copper line sets sitting and ready for the installer.
5.When I had all the above done I called around to various HVAC dudes until someone agreed to complete the job. I don't think any installer loves doing the grunt work their expertise is in the final setup .

My experience in these two jobs was with Mitsubishi 24K mini splits both purchased online . After the techs did their thing I was provided written receipts proving a " pro " installed the systems . In both cases I registered online with Mitsubishi and received email replies thanking me for registering for the warranty . Each email stated that my warranty started on the day of the install NOT the day of purchase . Just my opinion here but I don't think there is any difference between a tech purchasing from his supplier or a homeowner buying from an online warehouse . In my case both units were made by Mitsubishi and that's what matters , that plus a pro doing the final hook ups , pulling a vacumn and releasing the charge . That has been my experience and to date thankfully I have not had to use the warranty .

Last opinion: The only mini splits that I consider to be high quality are Mitsubishi/Fujitsu/Daikin . There may be others but that's where my money would go if I was considering a purchase .
Porsche986S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,844
Rewards Points: 736
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche986S View Post
What you are describing is a " rough install " by the homeowner . I have done that at two different houses with great results . Here is what I did in both cases , your own ability will determine how much of the install you want to do .

1.Mount the outside unit , must be level/plumb with clearances per manufacturer.
2.Mount the inside unit again per manufacturers recommendations.
3.Run drain line,communication electric and power lines again per manufacturer . I ran everything from the inside units to the outside units but didn't terminate at the outside unit.
4.Copper line sets: I am NOT a fan of the quick coupler style I prefer good old fashion flares . So I had the copper line sets sitting and ready for the installer.
5.When I had all the above done I called around to various HVAC dudes until someone agreed to complete the job. I don't think any installer loves doing the grunt work their expertise is in the final setup .

My experience in these two jobs was with Mitsubishi 24K mini splits both purchased online . After the techs did their thing I was provided written receipts proving a " pro " installed the systems . In both cases I registered online with Mitsubishi and received email replies thanking me for registering for the warranty . Each email stated that my warranty started on the day of the install NOT the day of purchase . Just my opinion here but I don't think there is any difference between a tech purchasing from his supplier or a homeowner buying from an online warehouse . In my case both units were made by Mitsubishi and that's what matters , that plus a pro doing the final hook ups , pulling a vacumn and releasing the charge . That has been my experience and to date thankfully I have not had to use the warranty .

Last opinion: The only mini splits that I consider to be high quality are Mitsubishi/Fujitsu/Daikin . There may be others but that's where my money would go if I was considering a purchase .
However, the only thing to remember is you have no labor warranty.
Mitsu or whomever the manufacturer is may warranty parts but you’ll still going to pay for the techs time even if it breaks 2 days after the installation.
This is why I say if your not able to do the entire install yourself then just let a tech supply and install the system.
I’ve seen some folks get really crossed up when they had to put $1,000 of labor or more into a system they bought and was technically still under warranty.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 548
Rewards Points: 1,094
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


^^^ You are 100 % correct on the labor warranty , however on my current install the guy that finished the job gave me a one year labor warranty which has since passed .
Porsche986S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 168
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
I don’t care for the diy brands of minis. And over 19 years in the hvac trade around 85-90% of the quick connect fittings I’ve come across have leaked refrigerant. I’d much rather have flair or sweat connections.
You want to be very careful with minis, they are extremely proprietary. Some of the cheap diy brands are considered disposable to a point where not much is available for them in terms of parts or support.
Cost is a regional thing. Get several quotes.
Do not buy the equipment yourself and have it installed. Either buy it and install it yourself or hire a contractor to supply and install the equipment. Buying it yourself without being able to work on it could put you in a bad spot as far as the warranty goes.

Realizing cost is regional. Does $4500 sound in the ballpark for everything needed (material/labor) to heat and cool a 15 x 15 room?

Non-DIY
mjhaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,844
Rewards Points: 736
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


I can’t comment, as costs are regional and not comparable.
I can say we’d likely be at least twice that.
Should do a load calculation on the room to determine size.
Do one here-

www.loadcalc.net
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,844
Rewards Points: 736
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


What brand of equipment is that quoted?
Is the contractor knowledgeable?
I have several accounts I’ve taken over where the contractor installed a mini/VRF but had no idea how it worked or functioned. So when it broke they couldn’t figure out how to fix it.
jjrbus likes this.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
Member
 
Davejss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Massachusetts
Posts: 777
Rewards Points: 1,102
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


I bough my unit from www.justminisplits.com
I paid $1100 for the unit and a couple of hundred more or wire, circuit breaker, and miscellaneous.
Install was a breeze. Any competent diyer should be able to handle it. Maybe hire out the electrical if you need to. Otherwise it's a 3" hole through the wall, hang the air handler, mount the exterior component, (I formed and poured a small pad), and hook up the lines.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
__________________
Trump 2020!
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 548
Rewards Points: 1,094
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaston View Post
Realizing cost is regional. Does $4500 sound in the ballpark for everything needed (material/labor) to heat and cool a 15 x 15 room?

Non-DIY
To me that sounds too high for one single room . This is the unit I installed in a 24x26 man cave garage with 12 ' ceilings . So we are NOT comparing apples to apples . My garage is 2x6 walls with R19 insulation with plywood on interior and exterior walls with house wrap so a pretty tight building . Anyways the same unit I purchased is now 2K . Just showing this as an example as you should get a load calculation done for proper sizing . So roughly 2K for the unit , about 300.00 or so for all the accessories ( line sets/wire/drain line ) . I did the rough install and a pro " finished the install " for 300.00 in my case . So 100 % complete up and running cost me less than 3K .

https://www.budgetheating.com/Mini-S...e-p/163126.htm
Porsche986S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 168
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


I don't touch electric or plumbing! I'd rather leave this project to the pros, but I already have an electrician re-wiring the house room by room. Putting in high hats, etc. If I went the DIY route they would do any of the electric.
mjhaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,844
Rewards Points: 736
Default

Re: Mini-Split costs


A minisplit installation is pretty much all plumbing and electrical.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts