Mini Split AC Placement - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

mini split AC placement

I am looking for advice on mini split placement as i have had 3 different places give me 3 different locations and prices. I am also now looking at a DIY system to save some some money on the install. I have a split level home with the bedrooms up 5 stairs and the 2nd level totaling 500 sq feet and being 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. The main level is kitchen and living area for a total of 700 sq feet. The options i am looking into are a signle 24k to 30k head system mounted above the stairs and blowing the air into the bedrooms and allowing it to fall into the living room. The other would be a multiple head system with one at the top of the stairs and one on the main floor.
However i cant decide if the larger head should be mounted on the top of the stairs or in the main living area as the 2 head system would have a 12k head and an 18k head. I have been told both placements from local HVAC. Any suggestions from anyone who has installed these systems.
Attached Thumbnails
mini split AC placement-1591218045050947804034363539695_1591218095786.jpg  
thawkprime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
dj3

Rewards Points: 78

Re: mini split AC placement

I love your quality drawing.
Without knowing the bid amounts, I would go with option 1. If you are looking from a cooling prospective, cold air goes down, making option 1 a bit more efficient.
dj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

I am not an artist by any means. The bids are between 4200 and 5500 depending on if is a single head or multi head system. The systems thay im looking at are under 3500 for a multi head system.

My major concern with multiple heads is if i put the smaller head up higher that (as you previously mentioned) that natural heat riseing and cool air falling will cause the top unit to run more. I then fear that a 12k head up high wont be large enough to handle the cooling load and the larger lower unit will never run and ill experience humidity issues.
thawkprime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement