HVAC In New Apartment Making Bathroom Rattle - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle

Moved into a new apartment around a month ago, and have had some problems with the HVAC (heater, as its winter) causing some rattling in the bathroom whenever it's running. Pictures will be attached below to help diagram the issues.

I have obviously notified the main office about this, but they haven't been much help. Which makes me think it's probably just a design issue and there is no solution.

The unit is located above the shower in the bathroom and causes the whole bathroom to rattle. Now, whenever my unit is on it doesn't bother me too much except for at night when my door will randomly start rattling to which the only problem is to get up and kinda shake it to get it to stop. It's a pretty aggressive rattle, considering it gets my attention (heavy sleeper).

The even bigger issue is my neighbor below me's HVAC. It is located directly below my bathroom (where his bathroom is) and whenever it kicks on, it literally shakes the whole bathroom.

These are not terribly old apartments (probably 15 years old) but obviously age doesn't matter when the design is poor. Is there anything that I can do to fix mine or something to point out to the maintenance guys? Or am I doomed to deal with it and just find a way to stop my bedroom door from rattling whenever it kicks on? Lol.

I appreciate all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle-20200130_113534.jpg   HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle-20200130_113618.jpg   HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle-20200130_113628.jpg   HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle-20200130_113711.jpg  
Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 244

Re: HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle

If the unit is sitting on the beams and has no rubber mounts under it then it may be noisy.

If they can lift it slightly and put a rubber pad or ideally a Vibrasorb pad ( from HVAC wholesaler or Amazon - check vibration pad ) then it may be quieter.

Some people hang them from special spring hangers but that cost $$ and if they were too cheap then it is what it is.

Usually we can pry the unit up a inch or more and put some rubber underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle-vibrasorb-pad.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Re: HVAC in new apartment making bathroom rattle

The fan speed may possibly be adjusted depending on a few factors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
spitz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement