How Do I Re-light Pilot Old Peerless Boiler - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 57TinkerMan

Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 538

How do I re-light pilot old peerless boiler

My boiler is a model from the 60's. I contacted the Mfr and got
"That has been manufactured by the former Peerless Heater Company, not our company. We would have no information to provide."

The instructions etched into it say "make sure the main lever handle shut off valve and pilot cock are closed"
"the with main lever handle shut off, turn on the pilot cock and light the pilot"

I don't know what either of those things are. The only thing the the boiler that moves is the temperature dial on the relay. I dont even know what to light.

The only lever is the the gas shut off on the gas pipe leading to the boiler from the ceiling.
How do I re-light pilot old peerless boiler-96145795_2072818542864394_3153125883598864384_n.jpg

How do I re-light pilot old peerless boiler-96131992_1120939994947939_2768234124534611968_n.jpg
Doug Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Re: How do I re-light pilot old peerless boiler

You should really get that old boiler checked and cleaned - it may not be safe. Pilot going out can be caused by a dirty orifice and other things and it may happen again.

Your unit may not shut gas to the pilot when it goes out, only to the burners. Based on the instructions, i doubt it does shut the pilot gas.

So you may have to shut the pilot gas, let what's there dissipate for a few minutes, turn on an relight. You can get an explosion otherwise.

Now, I strongly recommend you don't do this considering the age of the boiler and just get it professionally checked.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
You should really get that old boiler checked and cleaned - it may not be safe. Pilot going out can be caused by a dirty orifice and other things and it may happen again.

Your unit may not shut gas to the pilot when it goes out, only to the burners. Based on the instructions, i doubt it does shut the pilot gas.

So you may have to shut the pilot gas, let what's there dissipate for a few minutes, turn on an relight. You can get an explosion otherwise.

Now, I strongly recommend you don't do this considering the age of the boiler and just get it professionally checked.
The furnace is fine, we got some water on the rug, the fans blew it out over night.

I would love to relight the pilot... HOW thats the questions, not if my furnace is old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 80

I told you how to relight the pilot but just recommended against continuing to run the boiler long term without proper maintenance and inspection.

After so many years, it should be checked regularly because you can't tell if it's burning properly by eye.

The combustion could be completely off due to dirty burners/wrong pressure/other issues - it could be producing massive amounts of co in the exhaust.

Something that old doesn't have rollout switches or a vent safety switch so you really need to rely on a tech to make sure it's still safe.

--------

"pilot cock" btw is just manual pilot shutoff.

It needs to be off for a few minutes b4 you relight to avoid explosion from gas buildup as there's no pilot safety.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 05-03-2020 at 08:48 PM.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 914

How do I re-light pilot old peerless boiler-peerless.png
57TinkerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 57TinkerMan For This Useful Post:
Doug Locke (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
I told you how to relight the pilot but just recommended against continuing to run the boiler long term without proper maintenance and inspection.

After so many years, it should be checked regularly because you can't tell if it's burning properly by eye.

The combustion could be completely off due to dirty burners/wrong pressure/other issues - it could be producing massive amounts of co in the exhaust.

Something that old doesn't have rollout switches or a vent safety switch so you really need to rely on a tech to make sure it's still safe.

--------

"pilot cock" btw is just manual pilot shutoff.

It needs to be off for a few minutes b4 you relight to avoid explosion from gas buildup as there's no pilot safety.
The plan always was to replace it this summer, I know its too old and destined to die soon. We were going to do that right before winter but the HWH died, and repairing that was a bigger priority. So instead we got it checked over/cleaned in January, the expansion tank needed replaced but despite being around Nixon the boiler itself was fine.

I was using a leaf blower and fans to dry the carpet outside the boiler closet, one or the other blew out the the pilot light.

These are the only non water valves going to the boiler. Black pipe is what the gas shut off valves look like all over the house, no clue what the mini valve coming off of it, is that the pilot cock?

I closed the gas valve ad left the little alone.
Name:  96086303_843929886082999_5376783207544913920_n.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  28.8 KB

I tried holding a BBQ lighter under there, the the thermostat off and on/requesting heat nothing happened but i dont even know where it lights from.

In theory it should light as long theres fire under it right, with or without being in pilot mode right?
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 914

How do I re-light pilot old peerless boiler-peerless2.png
user_12345a likes this.
57TinkerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 57TinkerMan For This Useful Post:
Doug Locke (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57TinkerMan View Post
Thank you so much for both labelled diagrams.They are now printed, laminated, hung on the wall behind the furnace.

It would not have ever occurred to me to take the plate off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement