Heatpump Thermostat Operation - Vision Pro "L" Terminal - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Heatpump Thermostat Operation - Vision Pro "L" terminal

This house we recently moved to in Fl has a heatpump with strips. I had a th8320 stat on my furnace back in Pa so I wanted to replace this cheaper hw with the 8320. This is my first experience with a hp so I'm curious with the operation. So does the heat or cool signal use o/b to activate the contactor/activate the rv ? Then the stat will decide to call using white to the aux terminal to bring the strips in ? Do the strips work as a helper to the hp or is the hp deactivated while they finish to satisfy the heat call ? I have no wire from the package Rheem hp to attach to the "L" terminal so can I jumper aux to L to show the aux on light? Also I would like to add the outdoor sensor to the "S" terminals for the outdoor temp. Would it benefit me to let the stat use it for control ? Thanks for any help. GBY

Last edited by Hiskid; 05-31-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Hiskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 60

Re: Heatpump Thermostat Operation - Vision Pro "L" terminal

L is used for fault light if you have the wire and the heatpump supports it, don't jump it to anything. leave l without any wire.

o/b is used to activate the reversing valve.

aux terminal is used for aux heat.

For an all electric setup, heat strips should just be used to supplement, not take over completely or your electric bills will skyrocket.

Outdoor sensor is optional - useful for locking out heat strips above a certain outdoor temperature and locking out the heatpump and using 100% strip heat in extreme cold.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 10:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 906

Re: Heatpump Thermostat Operation - Vision Pro "L" terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskid View Post
So does the heat or cool signal use o/b to activate the contactor/activate the rv ? I have no wire from the package Rheem hp to attach to the "L" terminal
Rheem energizes the RV in heat mode... almost all others do it in cool mode.
Advertisement