Great...another Issue - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 368

Great...another issue

O.k. I get a call a couple of hour ago from tenant regarding the AC temperature gauge.

I go over the the house temp is 78 but the temperature gauge is set for 75.

I turn off the AC and wait for the house temp to go to 79. I turn the AC back on and it drops to 77 but no lower.

I've got a guy coming over on Monday and the AC is working so that's good.

But any ideas as to what might cause the AC temp gauge not to drop.
I have the same AC gauge at my house. It's manual and simple to use.

Thanks
ken33xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 716

Re: Great...another issue

Sounds like the air conditioner isn’t working. If it’s failing to get to setpoint.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 618

I'm guessing when you say temperature gauge, you are really talking about the thermostat. If so, what kind is it?

From your description, I'm guessing you have an old round Honeywell (or other type of mercury thermostat) and it's out of level. These things have a glob of liquid metal inside of them that sloshes from one side to the other with a change in temperature in order to turn on the heat or cooling. If they are out of level they don't work right.
bfrabel is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I'm guessing when you say temperature gauge, you are really talking about the thermostat. If so, what kind is it?

From your description, I'm guessing you have an old round Honeywell (or other type of mercury thermostat) and it's out of level. These things have a glob of liquid metal inside of them that sloshes from one side to the other with a change in temperature in order to turn on the heat or cooling. If they are out of level they don't work right.
Yes, it's a Honeywell
Attached Thumbnails
Great...another issue-img_20200711_203559.jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 898

Check the filter and replace if need be. It may be dirty and restricting the air flow. Since it worked a little better after you shut it down and let the temperature rise for a while, it's possible the evaporator is frosting up. A dirty filter could have caused that but there are other thing to consider. The evaporator should be checked to see if it needs cleaning. Make sure the tech checks all those areas.

ps. If you had shut it down longer, it might have completely defrosted and worked even better. Leave it in fan only mode (if available) and wait until the water quits running out the drain.

Last edited by surferdude2; 07-11-2020 at 11:12 PM.
surferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude2 View Post
Check the filter and replace if need be. It may be dirty and restricting the air flow. Since it worked a little better after you shut it down and let the temperature rise for a while, it's possible the evaporator is frosting up. A dirty filter could have caused that but there are other thing to consider. The evaporator should be checked to see if it needs cleaning. Make sure the tech checks all those areas.

ps. If you had shut it down longer, it might have completely defrosted and worked even better. Leave it in fan only mode (if available) and wait until the water quits running out the drain.
The filter was changed 6/24. The evaporator was check last March and I was told it was clean.

In any case I'll make sure the guy I have come out does a complete inspection.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:59 PM   #7

On some systems that have extra capacity, it possible to frost the coils by setting the thermostat lower then the unit is designed for. I seen that a lot when I had a couple of motels as clients. They all had window units of various makes. There was one Frigidaire model that I had to tweek the thermostat so it wouldn't go low enough to cause problems. If the occupant stayed several days, it would become ice instead of frost and that takes quite a while to defrost, hours even.

Keep that in mind if you have a reoccuring problem with a particular unit or tenant.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken33xx View Post
Yes, it's a Honeywell

Well, my guess was wrong. That's not the type that I was thinking of that needs to be level. Thanks for the pic.

It could still be an issue with the thermostat, or something else. Keep us updated when you figure it out.
bfrabel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #9

As a side note, we did lots of fast food restaurants in SoCal and our answer to the client's desire to keep the thermostat away from the employees was to place the temperature control inside the return air duct. We used Accustats set up for auto change over.

That's something to consider if you're a landlord with tenants who insist on abusing your units.

Accustats
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude2 View Post
As a side note, we did lots of fast food restaurants in SoCal and our answer to the client's desire to keep the thermostat away from the employees was to place the temperature control inside the return air duct. We used Accustats set up for auto change over.

That's something to consider if you're a landlord with tenants who insist on abusing your units.

Accustats

I went over the the property tonight. The AC thermostat read 79 but the temp was set for 77. Wouldn't go down.

Filter was fairly clean but return air duct grill was dirty so I cleaned that.

Then I noticed the tenant had two of the bedroom vents closed. I told him to leave the vents open.

I turned off the AC and let just the fan run.

I told the renter to turn the AC back on after 90 minutes. That the unit might be frozen.

However, before I turned off the AC unit I checked each room and there is cold air coming through the vents.

However, the thermostat which is new won't drop.

Last edited by ken33xx; 07-20-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 716

What is the supply air temperature, and what is the split across the evaporator?
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement