Gravity Boiler - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 57TinkerMan
  • 2 Post By beenthere

Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 928

Gravity boiler

Anyone know anything about gravity boilers? I bought a house this August with an old, old coal fired gravity boiler which has since been converted to natural gas. Definitely going to change it, but I need to limp through this first winter.

I suspect some of the radiators need bleeding, as only the bottom is warm. Kinda wondering how to go about this. It doesn't have a fill valve which regulates the pressure, just a valve connecting it to the household water. Just open the bleeder and let it fill, then go down and open the valve to the supply and bring the pressure back up? Right now, the pressure gauge says 12 pounds.

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 216

Re: Gravity boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
Just open the bleeder and let it fill, then go down and open the valve to the supply and bring the pressure back up? Right now, the pressure gauge says 12 pounds.

You got it, kinda simple. Don't let the pressure exceed 25 psig while filling, the pressure relief valve on the boiler (hope it has one) will open at about 30 psig. Lots of info out there about converting gravity systems to pump systems.

Good luck!
supers05 likes this.
57TinkerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 70

Don't forget that gravity systems take a long time to change. Starting, warming, and cooling take a long while. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a full a few hours before you felt much warmth up stairs.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,440

Open the bleed valve. When you get no air or water out, close it, and go down to the boiler, and add water until your at 15 PSIG. Then go back up stairs and repeat until you get water out of the air vent. And do this to all upstairs rads, and check the down stairs also.

Then, drain your expansion tank, if it still has the old large steel tank. Its most likely full of water, and your upstairs rads have been acting like an expansion tank.
supers05 and 57TinkerMan like this.
Marson (10-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement