Goodman CTK04AE ComfortNet Thermostat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Goodman CTK04AE ComfortNet Thermostat

Just had a new house built with a 2 stage AC unit and they installed a Goodman CTK04AE ComfortNet Thermostat for the control.
I didn't think about it until after the fact, but I want wifi access to the thermostat.
Searching info about the thermostat makes me think it is a decent thermostat, but getting wifi is sort of a pain and more $$$. I had rather not have to pay my installer to come do this unless it is last option.
Would it hurt just to install a new thermostat like a Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat or would this not be a good idea?
WallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 128

Re: Goodman CTK04AE ComfortNet Thermostat

The communicating stat controls the equipment directly and provides diagnostic codes, has building in dehumidification on demand and more.

It's better than a generic wifi stat.

Some of the functionality can be gotten back with enough wires in the wall and going to the condenser, but far from all.

Leave it alone. Wifi access is a gimmick unless it's a vacation home, it doesn't save energy over regular programmable.

In cooling mode, unless you have time of use rates, it's better in most cases to just maintain a moderate steady temp than let it warm up and drop it down. If it's a heatpump, it's pretty much always better to set it and forget it to avoid bringing on aux heat to raise the temp up.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user_12345a For This Useful Post:
WallyC (08-10-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement