Goodman Condenser Fan Motor Part Number (tech Tried To Rip Me Off) - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 AM   #1
k10

Rewards Points: 8

Goodman Condenser Fan Motor Part Number (tech tried to rip me off)

Hi All! I had a tech come out today due to a fault being thrown by my Goodman 2-stage heat pump (split system). Code was for outdoor coil temp sensor. Tech indicated that condensor fan was not running at full capability when system was in high mode causing the condenser coil to over heat. Suggested solution was to replace the ECM motor for the fan which came with a cost of $2100. This seemed rather expensive given a quick google search showed the cost of a 1/3 hp ECM motor to be about $350 and most youtube videos of techs replacing these motors only took about 20 minutes. I would have thought a fair price would have been in the $600 - $700 range.

With that background my plan is to purchase and replace the motor myself but I'm having trouble finding the correct motor. I have the part number off my existing motor (Genteq 142R 5SME39HS HE177) but my unit is about 10 years old so I can't find an exact match. I find many very similar motor but in some capacity or another the specs of the motor a slightly different than mine. Can anyone help me understand the most critical specs that need to match? for example I'll find a new motor with less HP (e.g. 1/5 hp), higher RPM (850/1100), and the same full load amps or I'll find a motor with the same hp but both higher RPM (850/1100) and FLA (3.0).

My other thought was to figure out the fan motor used in the modern day equivalent of my unit (which as far as I can tell hasn't really changed but just been renumbered) which is the Goodman GSZC180481 but I cannot for the life of me find a parts catalog or anything that definitively tells me the model number of the condenser fan used in that newer model.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Below are the specs off the existings part:
1/3 HP ECM
v 208/230
RPM 680/750
FLA 1.9 / 2.8
single phase
k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 240

Re: Goodman Condenser Fan Motor Part Number (tech tried to rip me off)

Try alpinehomeair.com as they sell a LOT of Goodman HVAC units to DIYers. One of the few who do sell to the public.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/

ECM motors are not that simple to cross reference. If it is a constant torque motor they have fixed speeds programmed into the motor and need to communicate with the circuit board. Same with the variable speed constant velocity type.

Point is the programming control/info is proprietary to them and there is nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by yuri; 08-05-2020 at 06:45 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 94

I would not jump to replacing the motor unless you know for sure it's not speeding up when it runs on high.

Other things can cause the same symptoms - dirty coil (despite looking clean), potentially a under-feeding txv or restricted filter drier could cause elevated high side pressure/temperature.

Expensive proprietary ecm condenser fan motors and circuit boards - the pitfall of high end outdoor units.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
k10

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna jump straight to replacing the fan motor. I ordered a new outdoor coil temp sensor for about $10. I had a tech tell me these sensors often go bad and given how inexpensive they are it's a good place to start. I also was able to find a service manual from Goodman and for the error code that's being displayed that is the suggested fix. I'll post if that fixes the issue or not.

I suspect the tech did not have much experience working with this type of motor because his comment to me for how he diagnosed this issues was that when on high the fan did not seem to be spinning very fast. When I later looked at the RPM rating printed on the side of the motor the difference between the high and low fan speeds is only about 100 RPM so probably not visually much faster. Further, this motor is designed to spin at an RPM that's like 1/2 the speed of most of the newer ECM motors I've been looking up so what may have been perfectly normal operation may have seemed broken to him.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
k10

One follow-up question I forgot to ask, how do techs figure out what modern day parts will work with older equipment? Presumably OEM equipment is not always available. Are there industry parts guides or is it just a matter of understanding electrical circuits and what specs are needed?
Old 08-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,028

You should be able to find and exploded diagram or parts list for your condenser with the replacement part info. Fan motors are pretty easy to replace. Some two speed condensers have 2 speed fans. Just make sure you get the correct replacement part. There'a a chance it could be the main board but hopefully the service guy knew what he was talking about when he said it was the motor.

ECM motors can cost anywhere from $300 to $1000. One hour to install. $2100 is ridiculous.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
You should be able to find and exploded diagram or parts list for your condenser with the replacement part info. Fan motors are pretty easy to replace. Some two speed condensers have 2 speed fans. Just make sure you get the correct replacement part. There'a a chance it could be the main board but hopefully the service guy knew what he was talking about when he said it was the motor.

ECM motors can cost anywhere from $300 to $1000. One hour to install. $2100 is ridiculous.
Thanks! just by searching my heat pump model number and "parts diagram" I immediately found what I was looking for. The OEM replacement motor (0131M00129) costs just $400. I'm still going to wait to see if replacing the temp sensor fixed my problem but if I need to go the route of replacing the motor I'm now confident I have the right part.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 94

This unit may vary the fan speed on a given stage to keep the condenser/high side pressure at an optimal level as conditions change like outdoor temp.

May not see an immediate increase when it upstages.

I would have to look it up to tell you.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
condenser fan , ecm , goodman , heat pump