Goodman 3 Blink Light - Cover Open Won't Trigger - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Goodman 3 Blink Light - Cover Open Won't Trigger

Hi Everyone,
Getting three blinking lights on my Goodman HVAC GKS9090 furnace. I changes the pressure switch, the tube and checked the lines. Found that even with the new pressure switch, the error comes back after the furnace runs.

a. After turning off / on, the furnace does successfully light and heat for a little while.
b. Upon triggering the furnace a second time, the three lights seem to come back.

I noticed that the lights did not come back when I left the cover off the top section on the second run but when I close it all back up, it will trigger the 3 lights again. My question:

I added the intake from outside air previously. Could not getting enough intake air trigger the three blinking lights? If not, why is it not triggering when I have the cover off and what else could I check? Thanks!
jpearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 716

Re: Goodman 3 Blink Light - Cover Open Won't Trigger

Probably not getting enough air.
What size intake did you run? How long? How many 90 fittings?
Post pictures.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

It's the same length as the exhaust but it's probably 50 ft. Until it gets to the furnace room, it's straight. It turns a few times to get over to the furnace. I'll grab photos later but it's probably 3 90s and then it reduces to 2" to go into the furnace.

The entire run is 3" pvc until it reduces just before connecting to the furnace. I had a cover on the outside to keep anything from flying in too...i'll remove that and see if it helps with airflow.

So not having enough air could cause the 3 blinking lights though, correct? We are finishing the basement now so I'd prefer to make sure I have enough air while I still have access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson View Post
It's the same length as the exhaust but it's probably 50 ft. Until it gets to the furnace room, it's straight. It turns a few times to get over to the furnace. I'll grab photos later but it's probably 3 90s and then it reduces to 2" to go into the furnace.

The entire run is 3" pvc until it reduces just before connecting to the furnace. I had a cover on the outside to keep anything from flying in too...i'll remove that and see if it helps with airflow.

So not having enough air could cause the 3 blinking lights though, correct? We are finishing the basement now so I'd prefer to make sure I have enough air while I still have access.
What does the highlighted portion mean? You have a cover over the combustion air intake? And was trying to run the furnace that way?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Sorry, had a metal wire cage in the PVC to keep things out. I am realizing how bad of an idea that is as I'm typing it out...i'll remove and try again.

side note, what is the recommendation to keep animals / bugs out of such an intake system or is it just let happen what happens?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #6

There is no barriers approved Im aware of.
Cap the intake and exhaust during the off season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement