GE Zoneline Single Package AC - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By beenthere

Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

GE Zoneline Single Package AC

I am the Maintenance Director of an 88 apartment assisted living facility in central Nebraska, which opened officially November 2017. I have intermediate experience in HVAC and electrical. Depending on the size of each apartment, there is either one or two GE zoneline VTAC unit(s) model #AZ85H09DACW1.

At the moment I have one unit in a vacant apartment that wont start up at all, thermostat is set 7 degrees higher than actual temp, fan is set to auto, I can hear the thermostat click, fan does not start up nor does the compressor. I pulled a unit from a neighboring vacant apartment (for clarification purposes I'll refer to borrowed unit as VTAC 2, and problem unit as VTAC 1). I wired VTAC 2 into problem apartment, switched thermostat to heat, and unit properly turned on with fan running great. I disconnected VTAC 2 and reconnected VTAC 1 and again switched thermostat to heat, and unit still does not turn on. I checked voltages, and confirmed there is 24V from the thermostat.

Has anyone dealt with the GE Zoneline units? Could anyone give some advice as to what my next troubleshooting step should be? Any help or info will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Nick B
Maintenance Director
Heritage Communities
sagewoodmaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 496

Re: GE Zoneline Single Package AC

Havenít worked with any in a while but they used to have a power stat Iíll call it. Looked like a limit switch but from time to time they would go out and prevent unit from starting. Also if unit has dip switches make sure no one has changed the settings. After that I would be looking at the main board. Youíll have to get a meter and see where your power is going in and going out. Sorry real familiar with the product but thatís how I would approach it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

Ok thanks, Iíll look into that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

Sitting in a customers driveway waiting for them to get home. Killing time looking at your problem. There is a fuse on the board that could be bad as well

Old 03-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

Which fuse?AZ85H09DACW1 Wiring_Schematic Diagrams.pdf
Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

Thereís a fuse on the parts list in the control section. Without seeing what your working on I canít really tell. Normally on main board.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #7

Iíve tested all fuses on the main board, all three tested fine. I also tested the compressor as well as the O.L.P. on the compressor and everything checks out good.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
Havenít worked with any in a while but they used to have a power stat Iíll call it. Looked like a limit switch but from time to time they would go out and prevent unit from starting. Also if unit has dip switches make sure no one has changed the settings. After that I would be looking at the main board. Youíll have to get a meter and see where your power is going in and going out. Sorry real familiar with the product but thatís how I would approach it

@BayouRunner , forgive me as I feel this may be an ignorant question, the power supply is 208/230V. from the universal connector I have 210V between the blue and gray wires, and 75V between the brown/orange wires and either blue or gray wires. Is 75V normal? Also I'm unable to locate a limit switch or what you are calling a "power stat". If I measured voltage to the compressor, I should have 208V, correct?

With neither the fan nor the compressor starting, my first reaction is the capacitor is bad, but when I connect a known good capacitor I still don't get a start on either.
Attachment 486841

Attachment 486849

Attachment 486857

Attachment 486865

I had other issues to deal with today, so I haven't been able to work on this unit much. I'll be off all weekend, but should be able to get to it Monday. I'm looking to self diagnose, as the installing contractor is 2 hours away (we are the 12th facility of our company, and they use contractors from the city of the home office for all the construction), so I'd rather figure it out myself than pay a contractor 4 hours drive time plus labor!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

The pictures aren't showing for me. Don't think you should get 75 volts anywhere. Disregard what I said about power stat. Poor wording but I couldn't think of a name of it. Anyway when I looked up the parts it didn't have one. Really think you may have a board issue. Since you have so many of the same units why don't you swap one out. Be careful with your wiring, you don't want two broken units.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

Letís try the pictures again.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
The pictures aren't showing for me. Don't think you should get 75 volts anywhere. Disregard what I said about power stat. Poor wording but I couldn't think of a name of it. Anyway when I looked up the parts it didn't have one. Really think you may have a board issue. Since you have so many of the same units why don't you swap one out. Be careful with your wiring, you don't want two broken units.

I mustíve read your mind! I got in my truck to leave tonight, and it dawned on me that I should try switching boards. To be extra cautious I might draw out where all my wiring needs to go, as to not screw up another board (Iíve been in the business long enough to know boards like that arenít cheap!)

Thanks for all the advice! Iíll let you know the outcome!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:03 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,428

Being less then a year old. That unit should still be under installers warranty for labor. Might want to call them out.
BayouRunner likes this.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #13

I didn't catch that they were new. I would call manufacturer as well if under warranty. But if you still want to check you could measure and trace voltage two units side by side without swapping out parts,
Old 03-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #14

@beenthere thatís true, honestly that never crossed my mind! Iíve been frustrated with not being able to find the issue, guess the warranty slipped my mind.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #15

@BayouRunner thanks for again for all the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ptac , vtac , zoneline