Erie SR-601 Goes To Sleep - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Erie SR-601 Goes to Sleep

Hi all!

Newbie here hoping you all can help me out. I am stuck with a problem.

So I moved into a 15 year old house a number of months back and have run into some issues with my furnace and thermostats.

My furnace is oil fired, Buderus Logano G115, which has 4 zones and separate hot water unit. The zone relay is an Erie SR-601.

I hooked Nest thermostats for each zone using the 3 wired approach (R, W and Common). This works as expected.....most of the time.

The problem is this. It's like the relay goes to sleep every so often. Like the lights are off in the relay, it looks to be dead. But the 120v is still coming into the unit. I tested the terminals during this time and the voltage is low across the board. Of course this means the Nests have a problem and complain about no power. Then later the power comes back on and they work again.

It seems to happen at random times and I am lost as to why this would happen. Any ideas from the community?

Another point to make is that the Buderus is set to automatic, so wondering does this mess with the relay. At this point i feel the next step is a new relay. But I don't wan't to go that extreme unless I am sure it will fix the problem.

Thank you in advance!
lemoncolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Re: Erie SR-601 Goes to Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncolly View Post
Hi all!

Newbie here hoping you all can help me out. I am stuck with a problem.

So I moved into a 15 year old house a number of months back and have run into some issues with my furnace and thermostats.

My furnace is oil fired, Buderus Logano G115, which has 4 zones and separate hot water unit. The zone relay is an Erie SR-601.

I hooked Nest thermostats for each zone using the 3 wired approach (R, W and Common). This works as expected.....most of the time.

The problem is this. It's like the relay goes to sleep every so often. Like the lights are off in the relay, it looks to be dead. But the 120v is still coming into the unit. I tested the terminals during this time and the voltage is low across the board. Of course this means the Nests have a problem and complain about no power. Then later the power comes back on and they work again.

It seems to happen at random times and I am lost as to why this would happen. Any ideas from the community?

Another point to make is that the Buderus is set to automatic, so wondering does this mess with the relay. At this point i feel the next step is a new relay. But I don't wan't to go that extreme unless I am sure it will fix the problem.

Thank you in advance!
How many nest thermostats? You've probably over loaded the transformer. They weren't designed to handle smart thermostats.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #3

That was a mission... For some stupid reason, nest doesn't make it easy to find the VA requirements for their products. The best I've found was their suggestion to use a 220ohm resister, which equates to 2.62VA. ....

The Erie SR601 only has a 25VA transformer. The SR201 and SR301 have a 15VA transformer. (apparently rated at 6VA max per thermostat.)

It should be fine, but I think that they can spike in power consumption at times. Such as battery charging and updating. They may all do this at the same time. You need a few VA for the relays. (roughly 0.7 - 3VA depending on the model. Erie mentions 2.8VA but that does seem a bit high.) So that limits the thermostats to roughly 1.3 - 2.8VA each, if you're using 6 thermostats. That's pretty close.

You may require a second transformer. (a fused 120Vac to 24Vac, 40VA transformer is very common and cheap.)

You can test this theory by removing one of the stats from the base and see if the erie board continues to function.

Cheers!

Last edited by supers05; 12-06-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

Dude, thank you so much for this. I was totally stumped.

I have 4 running so would totally make sense. I’ll look into adding the new transformer.

Would you happen to have a link to the one you mentioned? I did some looking online too but don’t want to get the wrong one.

Thanks again!
lemoncolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncolly View Post
Dude, thank you so much for this. I was totally stumped.

I have 4 running so would totally make sense. Iíll look into adding the new transformer.

Would you happen to have a link to the one you mentioned? I did some looking online too but donít want to get the wrong one.

Thanks again!
Try disconnecting one of the nests, and see if that helps. Only after that, adding the transformer will make sense.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buderus , erie , nest , relay , zone