Daikin Mini Split - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jjrbus
  • 1 Post By roughneck
  • 1 Post By jmreynolds

Old 09-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Daikin Mini Split

I am thinking about installing a Daikin 12K 23 Seer Mini Split in my garage but I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer:

- The instructions reference the need for a high harmonics GFCI Breaker. I don't think this is required in the US....Correct?
- The sites that sell these units also state that a surge protector is needed. How likely is it that I actually need this? I don't think either of my heat pumps have these.
- Nitrogen pressure test. I know that pulling a vacuum is not the same as a pressure test but if I am very careful and pull a successful vacuum test, do I need the nitrogen pressure test?
- Its hard to tell from the literature but are the hookup fittings standard threads or will I run into metric threads.

Thanks in advance
JMR
jmreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 764

Re: Daikin Mini Split

They are standard flairs.
You will need both an evacuation using a micron gauge and a nitrogen leak test.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
jmreynolds (09-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,206

I ran into the high harmonics breaker also. Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out. According to a knowledgeable poster on another forum it is a mistake in the manual, that Daikin put out a letter about it. I read it on the internet so must be true!

Everything in my house has a circuit board in it, except my tooth brush and comb. According to the way I read it, it is foolish economy to not have a whole house surge protector.
jmreynolds likes this.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjrbus For This Useful Post:
jmreynolds (09-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

Recommendations needed. As I stated earlier, I'm looking at installing a Daikin 12k in my garage but I'm still unsure if Daikin is the right choice. I favor Daikin because it gives me more flexibility over something like MrCool and I think parts are more readily available. However, is it worth the difference in price? Will one of the other cheaper Midea brands work just as well and last just as long? I Don't want to put something in only to have it fail a year later.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #5

No, the cheaper DIY brands will not last as long nor are they well supported with parts and supplies.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #6

Went through the same thing, what to buy? Spend enough time going through AC forums and often asked for off brands is, my directions are not clear and I get no help from tech support.

When viewing mini split videos, the people that seem the most competent and professional are usually working on Mitsubishi, Fujitsu and Daikin. Some others of course but mostly those 3. Plus tons of online info on Daikin and I have not seen parts being an issue for them.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #7

My saga continues. I decided to see if an HVAC company would install my mini split if I did all the grunt work( pad, disconnect, bore the hole, etc.). To my surprise, the estimate came back even higher than a full install. When I askd why the difference, he said it would take two guys all day and his cost would be $700 per tech.. I asked why would it take all day and two techs. He said they would need to trim the line to 10 ft because the mini splits are pre-charged for a 15ft line set. Trimming would require removal of some refrigerant and a complete diagnostic. I have a hard time believing this guy since the 10ft line length is well within the mini split parameters defined in the specs. I have also never heard of anyone in any forum running into this issue. Technically speaking, if you want to be extremely precise, the volume of refrigerant should be adjusted to include the refrigerant line volume. Has anyone out there ever trimmed a 15ft line set without adjusting the refrigerant volume on a pre-charged mini split? I'm guessing the answer is overwhelmingly yes.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #8

I asked a similar question when doing my Daikins. According to manual refrigerant must be added for a line longer than XX. So it made sense that refrigerant would be removed for a line less than X.

Was told no need to remove refrigerant by people much smarter than me. Was also told making a lineset less than 10 feet could cause issues. Put one lineset in a serpentine manner to keep it longer than 10 feet.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

I appreciate everyone's responses. I will probably stick with the 15ft line set and loop it to take up the slack.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #10

Be careful doing that. Looping wrong can create an oil trap. And your compressor will live a short life.
jjrbus likes this.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

Pros say coil is oil trap, I think it looks hackish. I also do not like the pads that leave 6 inch behind the unit that has to be weedwacked, I am in FL so grass is cut all year.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f17/mini...nstall-643253/
Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM   #12

I didn't know about the oil trap issue untill the previous post. I guess it's back to the original idea of trimming the lines or moving the unit to take up the slack. I agree that the loops do look sloppy.
jjrbus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement