Cutting The End Register Boot - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Cutting the end register boot

I am in the process of finishing a basement. My contractor left an air register boot that hangs below the drywall by about 1" from celing. What is the best way to cut? Tin snips can't really sit against the ceiling (celing register) flush enough to make a good cut. Almost as if you need something similar to a seamer that cuts rather than seams. Any ideas? Obviously I can cut it off roughly if I don't mind jagged edges and lots of shards--thought there might be a better way or tool.
kranite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,748

Re: Cutting the end register boot

Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranite View Post
I am in the process of finishing a basement. My contractor left an air register boot that hangs below the drywall by about 1" from celing. What is the best way to cut? Tin snips can't really sit against the ceiling (celing register) flush enough to make a good cut. Almost as if you need something similar to a seamer that cuts rather than seams. Any ideas? Obviously I can cut it off roughly if I don't mind jagged edges and lots of shards--thought there might be a better way or tool.
could you just cut vertically with tin snips at the 4 corners and then bend the 4 flaps either, flat against the finished ceiling or up all the way into the boot itself?
paul_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,072

You need 2 pairs of aviation snips. Right handed and left handed. You can get very close to the dry wall if you use them right. Cut straight cuts in each corner straight up. Now start cutting tilting the snips in each direction while cutting.. If you have a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch below the ceiling left. Bend the remaining over against the ceiling like a small flange. The diffusers all have a overlap of about an inch. You will never see the flange on the duct work. You can also reach inside the boot to hold down while cutting. Sounds like a lot but it's hard to explain if your not a tin-knocker.
Advertisement

Tags
duct