Copland Semi-hermetic Compressors 800 Series - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Copland Semi-hermetic compressors 800 series

So this new project is a small grocery store that has several freezers that been down for a while. The owner has decided to put in new compressors R22 Copeland's semi hermetic 800 series to replace the real old ones he's got there in the store. I'm looking for information on the install wiring diagrams anything along those lines a manual would be nice Copeland says it's old they don't have it that series is no longer kept up to date. So gentlemen anybody can help I'm sure appreciate it.
Rlejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 898

Re: Copland Semi-hermetic compressors 800 series

My advice, don't replace them if they still work.

If you insist on replacing them, it's pretty straight forward if you're still using the same voltage/amperage compressors. Any ancillary things can remain the same, such as defrost timer and contactors (if such there be).

If I misunderstood how much you were replacing, it will take a lot more information to be able to provide you with circuit diagrams. With multiple freezer systems, you would best be served by getting a refrigeration tech involved early on, even if just for a friendly conference to get an opinion. I've built up and installed many of those systems and I can help you, but it'll take longer and stretch your patience to the limit. It's way beyond an easy DIY project and you'll ultimately need a competent refrigeration tech or have that training yourself to do the refrigeration part.

Last edited by surferdude2; 08-27-2020 at 05:52 PM.
surferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 716

I’m assuming these are used compressors, if they aren’t supported and are R-22?
Is this a rack system?
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

I suspect when he owner finds out what it's going to cost to replace them, he'll change his mind. It's easy to make some uninformed statement to just "replace them" but when it's better understood what that entails and costs, minds change.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude2 View Post
I suspect when he owner finds out what it's going to cost to replace them, he'll change his mind. It's easy to make some uninformed statement to just "replace them" but when it's better understood what that entails and costs, minds change.
Yup, even used they can be big bucks.
Most semis are still supported enough that simple issues can be fixed without removing the compressor.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Yup, even used they can be big bucks.
Most semis are still supported enough that simple issues can be fixed without removing the compressor.
I've replace the valve plate on them several times, that's usually what gets wrong with them that is fixable... slugging from not having an accumulator for protection.

We had a string of them fail when we first started building them up without accumulators... it took out their bottom end... broke a rod cap. It was easy to diagnose... they kept running but couldn't keep up to the load and vibrated differently when pushed down against the springs and against the stops. Otherwise they fooled several shade tree techs that weren't up to speed in the trade.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude2 View Post
I've replace the valve plate on them several times, that's usually what gets wrong with them that is fixable... slugging from not having an accumulator for protection.

We had a string of them fail when we first started building them up without accumulators... it took out their bottom end... broke a rod cap. It was easy to diagnose... they kept running but couldn't keep up to the load and vibrated differently when pushed down against the springs and against the stops. Otherwise they fooled several shade tree techs that weren't up to speed in the trade.
Barring any destructive failure, that damages the body or bearing surfaces, you can almost rebuild the entire compressor where it sits, in an emergency. Head gaskets, valve plates, pistons, oil pump, all simple to do.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #8

Ok here's what I got KAMB-007e-caa-800 115 volts New rebuilt from Copeland.
I have been busy with going through everything in the store getting ready for first compressor today sunday. I will be checking back in about 3 hrs. I have one urgent question. 115 volts, when i look for wiring diagram single phase 115 volt copeland every thing comes back L1 L2. Which leg would be comone? L1 L1 has always meant 240 to me.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #9

I would like to find out how to post pictures, I think you guys would like the main panel with 1/3 white 1/3 green 1/3 bare copper coming out of neutral buss bar.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

You never switch a neutral wire so check to see which line is running to the pressure control and that line will be the hot line.

To post pictures here, Click the paper clip icon I circled in the pic below. If that icon isn't showing when you need it, click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of your message screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Copland Semi-hermetic compressors 800 series-pic-post.jpeg  

Last edited by surferdude2; 08-30-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlejunior View Post
I would like to find out how to post pictures, I think you guys would like the main panel with 1/3 white 1/3 green 1/3 bare copper coming out of neutral buss bar.
White, green and bare are all allowed on the neutral bar of a MAIN panel. That's the initial panel of a service that also contains the Grounding Electrode Conductor. All subsequent panels fed from that panel are sub-panels and only neutrals are allowed on their neutral bar, grounds run to a separate terminal bar.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #12

Sorry talking to my wife, about all the unfinished HONEY DO's. L-1 run L-2 thermal-overload, I am betting overload but I cant gamble with someone else cash.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #13

Generally the L1 line is the hot line and the L₂ is the neutral but I always verify that by checking to see how it may be switched and make sure the hot line is being switched.

The exception to the "never switch the neutral" rule is when connecting to an overload device that is an integral part of a compressor assembly. That device switches the neutral wire by design. The assembly has to be UL or equal laboratory approved to get that exception.

Last edited by surferdude2; 08-30-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement