Constant Baseboard Heat Noise - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Constant Baseboard Heat Noise

I have a 2 zone, natural gas boiler feeding my baseboard heat.

I have the normal pings and ticks coming from the fins. And some MUCH louder creaks and groans from the pipes expanding in the floors and walls. This is super loud, but probably not too much I can do about it.

The worst part is that it constantly sounds like the pipes in the floors and walls are expanding. Like the pump is running every 3 minutes or so, so the pipes are constantly expanding and contracting. But the tstat says that the room temp is at the set temp, so I don't think that the pump should be running this frequently.

Are there any settings I should be adjusting to keep the zone pump from running ALL the time? Should I adjust the boiler temp? Set the room temp higher? (Currently 68F).

Or am I looking at more of an equipment issue?

Thanks!
kaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,394

Re: Constant Baseboard Heat Noise

Quote:
This is super loud, but probably not too much I can do about it.
Popping and cracking is caused by air trapped in the line. Sections of pipe that have air heat and cool faster than sections that have water.

You should have hose bib for draining. Connect hose, and open valve, let it run for a while. Your pressure regulator (auto fill valve) should replace all the water there by purging the trapped air.

Last edited by hkstroud; 10-26-2016 at 12:40 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

So you think that maybe it just seems like the zone pump is ruining every 3 minutes or so, but really it's just the pipes expanding and contracting quickly due to air in the lines?

I mean this noise is LOUD. Like the house is about to fall over sometimes. It is what it is if the holes that the pipes run through are too small when they expand. I just don't want to hear it every 3 minutes. Once or twice an hour seems efficient enough for me to be heating the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,394

Copper pipe rubbing against structural members and fasteners is what is actually what is causing the noise. A copper pipe filled with hot water will cool down slowly. A pipe or section of pipe filled with air will heat ad cool rapidly. That rapid heating and cooling causes rapid expansion and contraction.

Bleed the lines.

Look at the thermostats and see if there is any adjustment for the temperature span for coming on and going off. If there is any adjustment mechanism it will be behind the thermostat front cover.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysee View Post

I mean this noise is LOUD. Like the house is about to fall over sometimes. .
Sounds more like the pipes are banging. If so, could be a bad zone circulator.

You can try bleeeding the lines as mentioned. But if you are still experiencing the loud noise or banging noise you may have another issue.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,692

Please post a couple of pictures of your boiler set-up so the hvac techs can better help you. Thank you.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Sounds more like the pipes are banging. If so, could be a bad zone circulator.

You can try bleeeding the lines as mentioned. But if you are still experiencing the loud noise or banging noise you may have another issue.

It doesn't really sound like a banging to me. More like a creaky moan from the floors and walls. It would make sense as someone mentioned previous to be pipes rubbing. But the noise part is one thing.

The real concern to me is that I hear it every 3 minutes. Once or twice an hour would be ok. Every 3 minutes is driving me crazy.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Please post a couple of pictures of your boiler set-up so the hvac techs can better help you. Thank you.

Anything specific you would want to focus in on? There's a lot going on down there.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8,716

I'd stand by the circulator/circulators for 6 minutes or so, to see if one is short cycling.

Post the brand and model number of your thermostat.

Check to see what temp the limits/ temp controls of the boiler are set to. Does your boiler also provide your domestic/potable water.

Pics of the boiler from a front view, left, right and from the back along with the circulators, and or zone valves may help.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #10

[QUOTE=beenthere;3670170]I'd stand by the circulator/circulators for 6 minutes or so, to see if one is short cycling.

[\QUOTE]

Yes one zone is short cycling. But, it isn't the zone that makes most of the noise. This will be my second question below.

I recently had to have both zone valves replaced. So in the process we had to bleed the pipes. This seemed to take care of most of the noise that I had until about a week ago. But this time, instead of the wood expanding and contracting, it sounds more like a loud pop, pop, pop, pop. Constant for about 10-15 minutes. It slows down and takes longer between pops, then it will start all over again. Would this be air back in the lines again?

Now the other zone is short cycling, and happened before and after replacing the zone valve. This causes the boiler to fire up, and the zone valve opens, about every minute or so. Sometimes every 45 seconds. Only lasts for about 20 seconds then turns off.

Would this be a thermostat issue? I have 2 Honeywell T8775A digital round thermostats. I've tried different hourly cycle settings, but doesn't seem to help.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 80

The popping still sounds like thermal expansion. Probably a pipe rubbing on a joist or stud.

As for the zone, it could very well be the thermostat. Pull the thermostat off the back plate, and connect the wires R and W together. The zone should stay on.

You may also have other problems, but you have to eliminate the thermostat first.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Those are power stealing thermostats. And are not reliable. Most likely the cause of the short cycling.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Those are power stealing thermostats. And are not reliable. Most likely the cause of the short cycling.

Any recommendations on a decent Heat only, non programmable t-stat?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
The popping still sounds like thermal expansion. Probably a pipe rubbing on a joist or stud.

Wouldn't you think this would stop after the pipe heats up and expands? This seems to just go on and on and on. Maybe the sound is more like someone is tapping the pipe with a wrench.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Honeywell TH1100DV. Its battery operated.
Advertisement