Coil Case Smaller Than Furnace Opening - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yuri

Old 02-16-2020, 06:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

Coil Case Smaller Than Furnace Opening

I've ordered a furnace and evaporator coil case (with the coil) off of Amazon. An 80,000 BTU furnace and a 2 ton coil. They are both Goodman brand and when I set the coil on top of the furnace I found that it was smaller. I have three options in order of preference. 1: Retrofit the coil case to fit on top of the furnace. Add a 2-inch wide piece of 18 gauge metal on both back and front of the case to expand the size. 2: place a reducer on top of the furnace. 3: return the unit and reorder another one that is the correct size. Any suggestion about which course I should take would be very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Coil Case Smaller Than Furnace Opening-86355800_507169133567284_4244115699259146240_n.jpg  
Adam Sinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 246

Re: Coil Case Smaller Than Furnace Opening

Return it and get the proper one.

If you have a spot/area with poor airflow it will ruin the heat exchanger below it.

The part of the tube heat exchanger you see now will run too hot and fail prematurely.
Adam Sinke likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 776

Return the coil for the correct size. You ordered the wrong width.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #4

Okay, so I got the wrong one. I return it as suggested. Now I need to buy the right one. Does the coil's physical size have to match the furnace or does the "rating" size have to match the furnace? Example: can you put any one of the 1.5, 2.5 or 3 ton coils on an 80,000 BTU furnace? Or if you have an 80,000 BTU furnace do you have to go with a specific ton size coil? Example my 2 ton coil does not fit my 80,000 BTU furnace. Can I get a 2 ton coil that would be the correct physical size for this furnace?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #5

Cased coils normally come in different widths.
The blower in the furnace will have a rating related to the air conditioner.
You should be getting an AHRI matched system. What’s your system match number?
Going beyond your original question, 80,000 BTUs is a rather large furnace. You must be planning on heating a large area. What were you heat loss numbers when you did your calculations?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 120

2 tons is very small to put paired with an 80k furnace - unless you're in winnipeg or something.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #7

I am a layman who thought he could pull it off on his own. Now, it'll eventually work out but these are the hiccups that come with trying to do it on your own.

I got the 80,000 BTU furnace on the suggestion of a family friend who does HVAC. I am heating a 2 story, 1938, 1800 sq ft house with a finished basement.

I then had a 2 ton goodman compressor given to me. I figured I had to match the coil to the compressor so I went a two ton coil in the case and I figured because they were all the same brand the case would fit the furnace.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

I would stop and think before continuing with the installation.
You’ll need an accurate load calculation to determine size. The air conditioner could be too small or too big.
Same for the furnace.
The furnace will need to move the correct amount of air for the air conditioner. Too much or too little will cause all sorts of problems.
The equipment should be matched via an AHRI match number. Not doing so will not guarantee size or efficiency numbers.
At the moment your quite a long ways off the mark for what needs to happen to get a system that runs correctly.
How old is this unit you were given? What refrigerant?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #9

Most 3 ton drive furnaces can be slowed down enough for a 1.5 or 2 ton.

That old house of yours may not have large enough air ducts for the 80k.

Possible you need 80 if the house isn't well insulated and also possible 2 tons is the right size for cooling.

But without the calculations, you're guessing.

you can do your own whole house load calc for free here - https://www.loadcalc.net/
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #10

Where in the world is this old farmhouse located?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #11

I am in Northern Indiana. I've installed 5 8x5 foot windows and the main floor is like a fishbowl. I am installing all new ductwork because it was on a boiler without A/C when I bought it. The house is down to the studs right now and I can put in whatever size duct I need.

The unit I was given was 3 months old. The folks bought it, moved to a larger house and found that 2 tons wasn't enough for their new house.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #12

How are you laying out the duct?
Should be done with manual D with a room by room manual J.
Very, very important the duct is the proper size.
Do your own load calculation with the link above and post the results.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #13

Hot water heat can be more comfortable than forced air* - why not keep it and have a separate system for cooling? assuming you haven't removed the system yet.

*Unless you get properly sized 2-stage or modulating furnace.

The site i linked to is for whole house only and should only be a starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement