Central AC/ Heating Equipment - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 07-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,394

central AC/ heating equipment

hello everyone. so I'll whole house is gutted right now. were not moved in quite yet. there's a boiler and a hot water heater that needs to be replaced. there's also baseboard heating which is shot. I know there's a bunch of positives of baseboard heating but we don't want to keep it. house was a foreclosure. we are going with Central AC and one also have the heat out of the same system/ducts so forced air. I have my friend coming to give me an estimate and I'm going to help him with the project. I'm just curious as to what's the main piece of equipment that will take care of the heating and cooling?? we have gas. thank you very much. any other suggestions that I should implement when doing this install please let me know appreciate it.
Mstrlucky74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Re: central AC/ heating equipment

There is no “main” part that handles everything, aside if you install a packaged unit.
There’s the condenser outside that handles part of the air conditioning and the indoor air handler.
Do you have natural or LP gas?
First step is a load calculation to determine what size equipment you need. Then a manual D for duct design.
The installation will matter most here in how your system runs. Not brand name.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ty_Control.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ent_Sizing.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...s_Properly.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ign_Issues.pdf

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,188

Split system with air handler and furnace inside (utility room, attic, or other) where you have access to the supply and return ducts. Then outdoor condensing unit for A/C and also for heat if you get a heat pump version... in which case the indoor furnace could be used as backup.... or deleted in favor of electric backup. I'd use gas, personally.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,172

In a northern climate, a gas furnace with an AC coil connected to a network of ducting indoors and a condensing unit outdoors is the way to go.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 346

Read all the forum posts on the subject where a 3 level house and central HVAC is problematic then you'll have a good concept of what not to do, and let me tell ya, there's plenty of reading on that subject.
raylo32 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 64

Find a competent company that can do a room by room load calculation and design the duct system/select the equipment correctly.

Selecting a "friend" to do the job can result in disaster.

Contrary to what was posted in this thread, you can do multiple stories on one system and have it work right provided the air duct system is designed correctly.
raylo32 likes this.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
Find a competent company that can do a room by room load calculation and design the duct system/select the equipment correctly.

Contrary to what was posted in this thread, you can do multiple stories on one system and have it work right provided the air duct system is designed correctly.
I'll attempt to remember to forward all those that's problematic posted on this site to you.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I said you'll see plenty on how not to do it.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #9

Yes, you can do it. But it will never be ideal. There will always be temp differentials, but they can be minimized to some extent. Any such install I ever need in the future will be zoned or dual units.

Quote:

Old 07-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
Yes, you can do it. But it will never be ideal. There will always be temp differentials, but they can be minimized to some extent. Any such install I ever need in the future will be zoned or dual units.
When the system is properly designed and balanced, for heating there won't be temperature differences between floors.

For cooling, 2F or less on 2-story.

Most residential systems are not done correctly.

The ducts going to the upper floors must be sized right. The extra equivalent length for the upper floors must be taking into account. There must be adequate return on every level, especially for cooling.

For 3 stories above ground, it takes a dedicated trunk line for the second and third floor, not branches from the attic. (zoning may be worth looking at in this case)

It also takes a good building envelope to achieve even temps between floors as well. The house needs to be well sealed to avoid stratification.

On the typical 2-story plus basement, there is no reason to zone or do more than one system most cases. It's pretty much an expensive cover-up for incompetence.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 07-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Thanks so much guys. So my friend and his buddy said would should handle the hot air via a hydronic system....not forced hot air....not sure if I have that completely right. There will be a boiler in the basement, two units outside and either one or two units in attic( not sure). This is for two floors( about 1900 sq ft.). He said 2.5 tons. Hot water will be via separate hot water heater or something off boiler( not sure I heard details about that). They want to use Rheem.

Anyway they said this is a $20k job easy but if I help and my buddy who's hvac guy they will charge $14K. hmmm.lol
Old 07-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
When the system is properly designed and balanced, for heating there won't be temperature differences between floors.

The ducts going to the upper floors must be sized right. The extra equivalent length for the upper floors must be taking into account. There must be adequate return on every level, especially for cooling.

For 3 stories above ground, it takes a dedicated trunk line for the second and third floor, not branches from the attic. (zoning may be worth looking at in this case)

It also takes a good building envelope to achieve even temps between floors as well. The house needs to be well sealed to avoid stratification.

On the typical 2-story plus basement, there is no reason to zone or do more than one system most cases. It's pretty much an expensive cover-up for incompetence.
Really?? One zone for 2 floors?
Old 07-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #13

That's the problem. At that stuff to "do it right" is harder and maybe more $$ to do than zoning. I have never seen one like that. You'd have to build a custom house. Even then I still maintain there will be temp differentials. Livable, yes. But ideal, no.

Quote:

Old 07-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks so much guys. So my friend and his buddy said would should handle the hot air via a hydronic system....not forced hot air....not sure if I have that completely right. There will be a boiler in the basement, two units outside and either one or two units in attic( not sure). This is for two floors( about 1900 sq ft.). He said 2.5 tons. Hot water will be via separate hot water heater or something off boiler( not sure I heard details about that). They want to use Rheem.

Anyway they said this is a $20k job easy but if I help and my buddy who's hvac guy they will charge $14K. hmmm.lol
Is that a quantity of 2 units at 2.5 tons each?
Ask to see the load calculation for that. You DO NOT want oversized equipment.
Are you keeping the radiators or will there be a hydronic coil in the air handler?
Old 07-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
That's the problem. At that stuff to "do it right" is harder and maybe more $$ to do than zoning. I have never seen one like that. You'd have to build a custom house. Even then I still maintain there will be temp differentials. Livable, yes. But ideal, no.
The sheet metal labour is similar, just need a good designer and it needs to be commissioned right.

Zoning can really cause a lot of problems if not done right and if a contractor can't get a single system for 2 stories done correctly he won't be able to do zoning right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement