Can I Use The Same Cold Air Return Path From One Room In Another Room? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Can I use the same cold air return path from one room in another room?

I want to tear down a wall in room in order to open up the space and make it into a living room. The problem is the wall I want to tear down has a large cold air return on it.

I did some investigation and found a cold air return in my basement that runs up a wall opposite the current location that I want to remove. However what I found out was this cold air return is for an upstairs bedroom that passes through this wall.

Can I cut into this wall on the first floor and add another cold air return duct and not compromise the cold air return to the upstairs bedroom since they would both be in the same path?

I have made a video and would be happy to share it, this is my first post so I cannot do that just yet.

Below are pictures of what I am talking about as well.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Can I use the same cold air return path from one room in another room?-car1.png   Can I use the same cold air return path from one room in another room?-car2.png   Can I use the same cold air return path from one room in another room?-car3.png   Can I use the same cold air return path from one room in another room?-car4.png  
dillfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 48

Re: Can I use the same cold air return path from one room in another room?

Each return path can only handle a certain amount of airflow at a certain level of restriction/resistance to flow.

Get rid of return paths and you may get a hot upstairs - not to mention, reduce airflow and cause problems for the equipment.

So don't eliminate return paths.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Thanks, I had a feeling that was case.
dillfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 48

by all means re-route return air paths if possible.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement