C Wire For Nest Thermostat On A 4 Wire System - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roughneck

Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

C wire for Nest thermostat on a 4 wire system

my current thermostat is powered by 2 AA batteries. it's a 4 wire system and there is no c wire to the thermostat. I was planning to use the fast-stat kit or the ventstar add a wire kit. however the furnace control panel has 2 or 3 wires attached to C already, but those are not wires from the thermostat bundle? maybe it's the AC condensor? can i still use the wire kit to add a c wire to power my nest?

would there be too many wires on the C terminal? if so, do i have other options?

ed_423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 740

Re: C wire for Nest thermostat on a 4 wire system

Those other wires are devices within the furnace.
The red wire on C is likely for the condenser.
That furnace is not to code. Your not permitted to run flexible gas line through the cabinet. It’s a safety hazard.
Do not install a nest. They are junk, lots of problems and issues. Add a wire devices will amplify the issues.
I would start saving for a replacement furnace rather then putting a fancy thermostat on an old standing pilot unit. Has that unit been checked for a cracked heat exchanger?
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 326

Hi, how difficult is it to pull a new cable to the Tstat from the furnace? stay away from these add on devices.
Geo
Geochurchi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Those other wires are devices within the furnace.
The red wire on C is likely for the condenser.
That furnace is not to code. Your not permitted to run flexible gas line through the cabinet. It’s a safety hazard.
Do not install a nest. They are junk, lots of problems and issues. Add a wire devices will amplify the issues.
I would start saving for a replacement furnace rather then putting a fancy thermostat on an old standing pilot unit. Has that unit been checked for a cracked heat exchanger?
You’re right this is a pretty old unit, the condo was built in 1972 I believe, I am not sure when this furnace was put in.

So far I just have the home inspection guy and my contractor look at it, and both said it looks fine. But changing the unit is a plan for the future. Just want to see if I can get the smart thermostat to work in the mean time haha
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geochurchi View Post
Hi, how difficult is it to pull a new cable to the Tstat from the furnace? stay away from these add on devices.
Geo
Too difficult for a DIYer haha. Are these add On kits dangerous?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 326

Hi, don’t know about dangerous, I just try avoiding things like that, is the Stat on the first floor? if so not that difficult to fish a new cable, especially if you can see where it goes up through the floor.
Geo
Geochurchi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geochurchi View Post
Hi, donít know about dangerous, I just try avoiding things like that, is the Stat on the first floor? if so not that difficult to fish a new cable, especially if you can see where it goes up through the floor.
Geo
I see that makes sense. Yeah the stat is on the first floor and the wires doesnít just go straight up
Old 08-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 86

Quote:
So far I just have the home inspection guy and my contractor look at it, and both said it looks fine. But changing the unit is a plan for the future. Just want to see if I can get the smart thermostat to work in the mean time haha
I would not trust a home inspector to check a furnace.

If you want to keep it, the heat exchanger needs to be thoroughly inspected - it also needs to be cleaned, and tested*.

*Measuring Gas pressure, exhaust carbon monoxide, temperature rise at a minimum for testing -> not just seeing if the flames look okay.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user_12345a For This Useful Post:
ed_423 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_423 View Post
You’re right this is a pretty old unit, the condo was built in 1972 I believe, I am not sure when this furnace was put in.

There are other thermostats that are superior with far less problems.
The Nest is not “smart”. And is a horrible choice for a thermostat. I honestly wouldn’t have one even if you gave it to me for free.
The furnace needs to be checked with a combustion analyzer. Visual is not good enough.
Most standing pilot furnaces are long dead.
Chris130 likes this.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roughneck For This Useful Post:
ed_423 (08-27-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement