Blower Is On All The Time On Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009 - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By roughneck
  • 1 Post By Tigi

Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009

Hi guys, need help with Carrier HVAC. No heat second day. Blower is running all the time. No heating and no AC. Furnace is Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009.
My guess is relay contacts are shorted (?). Thermostat seems is working OK, I could hear that relay coming in, when I turned heater on. Any suggestions.
Tigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 966

Re: Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009

The model number is for the circuit board, not the furnace.

There are two things i know of, bad board aside which can cause this...

1. A stuck open high limit safety. The board runs the fan to cool the heat exchanger. heat won't operate.

Disconnect the leads connected to the limit and check resistance.

you can also check voltage drop instead if you choose to not disconnect the leads. power has to be on for that test.

2. No low voltage power to the control board. Check voltage between R and C at the board with the door switch depressed. if there's nothing check the transformer and fuse on the board.

As a fail safe, the heating fan relay on some boards is normally closed and opens when the board has low voltage power. I know that carriers are designed this way, but not sure about the others. When the fan needs to come on at the heating speed, the board stops applying power to the relay.

It's a fail safe mechanism so if something goes wrong with the board and it can't apply power to the relay, it will fail with the fan running so the furnace doesn't overheat.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advice on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 01-06-2017 at 04:50 PM.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

Blower on plus no heat usually equals a tripped roll out or limit
supers05 likes this.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Thank you very much for reply!
Yesterday I could not work on this problem(work related)---called in sick today.
Trying to find a connection diagram for HK42FZ009 board---have not founded yet. Also trying to find the principles of operation of whole unit---no luck so far.
Model# 58RAV115-16 s/n 3496A18533.
Started to check the sensors( limit safety), first one was OK, on second one I screw up while pulling the lead wire, the sensor fell a part. So I need to replace the sensors, probably good idea anyway. I did not like the way they looked, at least a couple of them. Two were on burner, top and bottom, I damaged bottom one. Third one was in the same section, draft sensor(?). Fourth one was in the blower section.
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-img_0458-damaged-sensor.jpg   Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-img_0459.jpg   Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-img_0460-looked-bad.jpg   Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-img_0461.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

in your last picture, the red-ish board with two wires connected is the high limit.

you need continuity on that one, along with the rollouts.

Don't worry about control board's connections until you verify that the limits and rollout switches are okay.

rule out the basics.

not sure why the rollouts were coming apart. you don't have to remove the leads, just push the reset button.

without a call for heat, it's safe to temporarily bypass the rollouts to see if the blower stops.

Do not leave them bypassed or run the heat with them bypassed. not safe.

if the rollouts are tripping there's a good chance you have a bad heat exchanger.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advice on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,904

Carrier/Bryants often run the blower for 90 seconds when the thermostat is already calling for heat, and the power is first turned on.

After you get the new limits and or roll outs in stalled. Turn power on with the thermostat system switch set to off. Then go up stairs and turn the stat to heat, and set it to your normal temp.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Guys, I really appreciate your replies and help!!!
Here is the latest:
Checked the high limit safety- it was open, checked other rollout sensors--they were OK.
Bypassed the high limit and broken rollout, blower stop running after 90 sec.
Turned heater ON, inducer motor start running, igniter came ON, but no flames. After four times it went into lockout mode.
Tested again, this time hooked up DVM to gas valve (see picture), it was
0.78 V ---> igniter ON, it switch to 26 V for 3-4 seconds ---> back to 0.78 V.
LED code is 14.
How the gas valve work, I would imagine there should be a solenoid, we are supplying 26 V to it, do you replace whole valve or one can replace solenoid only?
Is there any other tests I may need to perform?
Looks like no heating until Monday, need to get the parts directly from Carrier, hopefully they will have it.
Thanks again, cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-58rav115-16.jpg   Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-img_0465-high-limit.jpg   Blower is On all the time on Carrier Bryant HK42FZ009-img_0466-gas-valve.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

Gas valves cannot be serviced.
What is incoming gas pressure?
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

Tell you honestly I do not know. This furnace was working for twenty years, the same gas pipes, same supply.We have not done any construction---nothing has changed and all of sudden --- low gas pressure?
I know one can measure with manometer, I do not have one.
BTW, I do not have any problem with water heater, gas range oven and with my gas dryer, the only difference is that the furnace is located in the attic.

When you are saying that gas valve is not serviceable --- that mean I am done with this furnace/unit and should get a new one?

Thanks for reply!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

the entire gas valve can be changed.

check the error code on schematic.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

I would like to thank (!!!) the user_12345a, roughneck and beenthere for helping out to solve this problem.
The problem is resolved by replacing the limit safety switch and gas valve.
Works like new.
Cheers!!!
beenthere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement