Is This A Bad Install? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 07-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 349

Is this a bad install?

Hi,
Finally got my split heatpump installed. The handler is in the laundry/dry storage room... which we use often. (The handler is not hidden or in a crap room.

My install was a bit expensive... wanted it done right... However the job seems really sloppy.

There is a breeze coming out towards the bottom between the wall and the handler... I was told it is to be expected... I say BS.

They put silicone over the seal between the plates on the front??? they are going to have to cut it open twice a year to instpect it?

(Note the gobs of silicone at the Safe T Switch.)

The PVC pipe for the drains were absolutely filthy on the outside and are not cleanable.

The return has been turned from a ledge to a mastic tape thing...

The supply... they put a full size register in it, the duct sealant was left looking like there was a gap in it...

and the Phenomenal Aire was installed right next to the vent... They originally drilled the hole in the angled duct below it but changed their minds patched the duct and drilled the second hold above it. (Update: the guy at Phenomenal Aire said it as OK as is, but not nominal.)

Also, when they disconnected the old water heater there was black water. The copper pipes were black filthy inside. The water splashed the walls and even the ceiling which are still stained. (Granted the room was never painted... still...)

I am sure the expansion tank is fine the way it is. Inspection will be in the next few days.

I am not overreacting or getting massively upset... but it is disappointing to say the least. My girlfriend is not to happy about it either. A little validation
or counter argument, on this before I confront them would be nice
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a bad install?-ac1.jpg   Is this a bad install?-ac2.jpg   Is this a bad install?-ac3.jpg   Is this a bad install?-ac4.jpg   Is this a bad install?-ac8.jpg  

Is this a bad install?-ac7.jpg  
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 918

Re: Is this a bad install?

Fits my definition...it's ironic that installing this professionally would have been a lot easier than what they came up with. Have the owner of the company come out and take a look, he/she couldn't tell you with a straight face that this level/quality of work is acceptable and what they base their reputation on. Give them a chance to correct this, they might surprise you.

Good luck...
57TinkerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,234

Once again, my standard answer. Did you pay in full? I never pay in full until it is done to my satisfaction and that gives me leverage. I think it is sloppy, certainly not worthy of the price a professional commands.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
dj3

Rewards Points: 280

Repeat: Did you pay in full, or did you withhold the last payment, as allowed by law?
There's a lot to do to bring the job from unsatisfactory to acceptable, and you have to give the owner a chance to correct it. One chance only, and put it in writing.
If the owner flakes, contact your Contractors' Board - they have his bonding information, if this tech is licensed, to provide funds to repair it.
dj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 368

I have reserved my comments waiting on HVAC pros to respond. But I could not find anything RIGHT with the install, IMO. I also couldn't find the "puke" emoji. As stated, let the owner make his own assessment and see where it leads.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #6

What exactly should I ask them to fix?
There was some question about new requirements about sealing the front... I would like to be righteous and have specific requests.
The inspector is coming on Monday... along with the manager from the HVAC company.
Worst case scenario is they are buddies. That silicone really bugs me too, even I could have come up with a better idea.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,206

Silicone has become a generic term for caulk and there are many different types of caulk. I have just about quit using silicone for anything. Nothing sticks to it, nothing, not even more silicone. To use it for something that needs to be opened and closed is ridiculous. To reseal the opening every last bit of silicone needs to be removed including all residue. The only way I know to do it is mechanical, such as sandpaper. I have not seen one silicone remover that actually works on silicone.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,898

How much more $$ was the contractor you didn't hire?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,200

Not a pro here, but the part that really bothers me is that transition from the top of the unit to the supply... assuming this is an upflow unit Looks like a 3rd grader's papier mache project. Was it like that before?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 80

It's sloppy, but seems to be functional. This wouldn't be acceptable here, but different regions have methods. The mastic looks odd when compared to the professionally made sheet metal transition piece up top. Almost like they are trying to hide something.

I'm kinda curious why they used press fittings inside but have torches, presumably for welding outside. Kinda defeats the purpose of the expensive fittings, lol.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,028

It's sloppy cosmetically - only you can decide how much that bothers you. It's sloppy from a functional standpoint if you have air leaks and gaps all over the place - that is not acceptable.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I have just about quit using silicone for anything. Nothing sticks to it, nothing, not even more silicone. To use it for something that needs to be opened and closed is ridiculous. To reseal the opening every last bit of silicone needs to be removed including all residue.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
It's sloppy, but seems to be functional. This wouldn't be acceptable here, but different regions have methods. The mastic looks odd when compared to the professionally made sheet metal transition piece up top. Almost like they are trying to hide something.

I'm kinda curious why they used press fittings inside but have torches, presumably for welding outside. Kinda defeats the purpose of the expensive fittings, lol.

Cheers!
They reused what they could from the old duct to the supply and added the transition. (about 1 foot of duct work.)

I do think it looks like a child's papermachet project. I am not sure if the sealant can be sanded once it dries. Maybe I will use what they gave me to paint the rest of it, then sand it smooth and paint it?

I put a thermometer, cooking probe, in between the unit at different points as best I could. It is colder at the top of the lower panel than the bottom side, leading me to believe the air leak is coming not from the panel, but the top of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a bad install?-20200616_193918.jpg   Is this a bad install?-ac1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement