Anyone With MrCool Diy Ductless Experience? - HVAC - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,855
Rewards Points: 758
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


I’d highly suggest against doing that.
Either buy it and install it yourself. Or hire out a company to supply and install the equipment.
If you buy it and hire out the work, you’ll probably get someone undesirable. That probably doesn’t know much about the equipment. And you’ll either get an extremely limited warranty or no warranty at all.
What seems like a way to save some money, could easily cost you much more then hiring a contractor to do everything.
southernxp likes this.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #17
Member
 
user_12345a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,468
Rewards Points: 94
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


Once you include the $1000-$2000+ required to buy gauges, refrigerant, micron gauge, scale, torches, nitrogen tank and regulator, recovery machine, etc the price of a diy install could really approach that of a professional install with the equipment included.

It may only make sense to invest in the tools if you have multiple properties with stuff that needs service.
southernxp likes this.
__________________
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 34
Rewards Points: 52
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


Again not what I wanted to hear but probably what I needed to hear. I'm going to be getting quotes from reputable professionals this week. Luckily this house was once a duplex with two separate hvac systems. We have barely used the main house system over the years. Both of them were old when we bought in 2002. Of course the bedroom one failed but and I did manage to get it running today. The compressor made a horrible grinding sound. So silver lining we are getting a way more efficient system. And we are not desperate to get it done this week.

Last edited by southernxp; 05-25-2020 at 06:07 PM.
southernxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 362
Rewards Points: 624
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


Most of the things that 12345a says that you need, are not really needed to install a mini-split. I doubt he's ever installed one, otherwise he'd know that they are NOT supposed be brazed upon (due to the lack of a filter drier) and that they always come pre-charged with refrigerant. This means you don't need the torch and you usually don't need a recovery machine or a scale.

If you're working with pre-charged linesets all you really need is a crescent wrench to tighten the lineset nuts.

If you don't have a pre-charged lineset (or if you screw up and need to cut the pre-charged lineset) then it does get a little more involved and then you do need a bunch of extra stuff like a vacuum pump, micron gauge, and a gauge-set. So if this is the case then it probably would be worth looking for help from a qualified hvac tech.

I realize that you are getting some pros out to give you some options, and I'm happy to hear that. That probably is the way to go. I just wanted to point out that mini-splits slowly are becoming DIY friendly, and it can be a job that can be done by a homeowner if they get the right kit and can follow directions.
bfrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,855
Rewards Points: 758
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Most of the things that 12345a says that you need, are not really needed to install a mini-split. I doubt he's ever installed one, otherwise he'd know that they are NOT supposed be brazed upon (due to the lack of a filter drier) and that they always come pre-charged with refrigerant. This means you don't need the torch and you usually don't need a recovery machine or a scale.

If you're working with pre-charged linesets all you really need is a crescent wrench to tighten the lineset nuts.

If you don't have a pre-charged lineset (or if you screw up and need to cut the pre-charged lineset) then it does get a little more involved and then you do need a bunch of extra stuff like a vacuum pump, micron gauge, and a gauge-set. So if this is the case then it probably would be worth looking for help from a qualified hvac tech.

I realize that you are getting some pros out to give you some options, and I'm happy to hear that. That probably is the way to go. I just wanted to point out that mini-splits slowly are becoming DIY friendly, and it can be a job that can be done by a homeowner if they get the right kit and can follow directions.
Weve already gone over why precharged lines are not recommended.
At a minimum, the OP would need a flair block, nitrogen, gauges, a vacuum pump, micron gauge, and if the lines went over ~15 feet long a scale and refrigerant.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 362
Rewards Points: 624
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Weve already gone over why precharged lines are not recommended.
At a minimum, the OP would need a flair block, nitrogen, gauges, a vacuum pump, micron gauge, and if the lines went over ~15 feet long a scale and refrigerant.
I disagree with this being the minimum. I'm kind of splitting hairs here, but I could do the job without the nitrogen and the guages.

The guages would be nice, but as long as you had 2 hoses you could hook up the vacuum pump to one port, and the micron gauge to the other and still be able to do the job and ensure that there wern't any leaks. These 2 hoses would need to have either low loss fittings or ball valves on them, and you might also need a couple of adapters in order to hook the hoses up to the wierd sized access fittings that many mini-splits use.
bfrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,855
Rewards Points: 758
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I disagree with this being the minimum. I'm kind of splitting hairs here, but I could do the job without the nitrogen and the guages.

The guages would be nice, but as long as you had 2 hoses you could hook up the vacuum pump to one port, and the micron gauge to the other and still be able to do the job and ensure that there wern't any leaks. These 2 hoses would need to have either low loss fittings or ball valves on them, and you might also need a couple of adapters in order to hook the hoses up to the wierd sized access fittings that many mini-splits use.
The fittings are usually 5/16, instead of the normal 1/4.
I actually do what you mentioned for system evacuation, I dont use gauges. But my setup is unreasonable for DIY use, with 5/16 Appion core removers connected to 1/2 vacuum rated hoses straight piped to the pump.
For DIY use, a simple gauge manifold is much more economical.
Ive had many systems over the years, for various reasons, not show a leak during evacuation that did show up during the nitrogen test charge. Flairs are tricky for an inexperienced DIYer, thus a nitrogen charge is mandatory. Mine usually are 550-600 PSI for 24 hours minimum for new equipment. System repairs involving leaks, at least 3 hours.
user_12345a likes this.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #23
Member
 
user_12345a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,468
Rewards Points: 94
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


brazing torch likely not needed, recovery machine only needed for system repairs (not for install) but everything else is needed. didn't bring up the flaring tools required.

I know what's involved.
__________________
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 05-25-2020 at 09:22 PM.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,855
Rewards Points: 758
Default

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?


I should have included in my previous post that most DIYers will not know how to process the information the micron gauge is showing, which is another reason it’s a poor choice for leak testing.
It will not steadily drop and hold. It’ll drop, raise up a bit, stall out, take a while to drop into a displayable level, raise up when you valve off the pump. All of it means different things, you just have to know how to dissect what the numbers are telling you.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts