Anyone With MrCool Diy Ductless Experience? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 05-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?

So I decided to turn the AC on this weekend and only the blower started. I'm pretty sure I can get the compressor going when the parts store opens Tuesday.

That being said the system is past it's prime. I haven't used the gas furnaces in years. We have an electric water heater so screw the pass through charges for 8 months we don't heat.

To the point I want update with an eye to selling. To that end I am thinking about whole house ductless diy MrCool. The online reviews are solid but I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this brand or Ingram's Water & Air
southernxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

And what determines DIY? The only difference I see is the ones considered diy are 115v and the "professional" ones are 230. I can wire some more ganged 30 amp circuits for a better deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,122

Re: Anyone with MrCool diy Ductless experience?

The DIY version has screw together, pre-charged, refrigerant lines and the lines are a fixed length. That means when they're too long you end up with a big coil of tubing stashed somewhere. The pro install version the lines need to be cut to fit and brazed. Then has to be leak checked and vacuumed down and the charge checked.

One of the guys at work installed the diy in his garage, lasted about a year and quit. Last I knew he was still trying to find someone who would even work on it. I'd look for a higher quality brand that is better supported by a local installer.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

contractors here say the pre-charged line connections are prone to leaking - so you should really avoid a diy style mini-split.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Well not what I wanted to hear. Are mini split systems still really expensive? My experience is contractors typically charge at least double what the hardware costs.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

alpine home air does sell some pro-install stuff - i believe they sell Panasonic.

go on there and check pricing.

problem is the vacuum pump, scale, gauges, etc are pricey and you need a epa license in the states to legally do the work and buy refrigerant.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 716

Minis cover a wide verity of needs. Many are installed as secondary conditioning, such as offices, IT closets or bonus rooms. For these purposes the cheap DIY grade minis are likely fine. But if the equipment is the primary source of heating and cooling, you should invest in a more supported brand that will support the equipment for many years to come. Brands such as Mitsubishi, Samsung, and Daikin will do this.
Do not get units with precharged lines. Not only do the connections leak, but the extra coiled lineset you’ll have is unsightly and can cause problems if not coiled properly.
If your doing the whole house, look into a ducted minisplit or even VRF.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #8

It looks like you don't need a license to buy R410A. I know two welders. How close to brazing is welding?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #9

Legally you need to be licensed to buy and handle R410A.

https://www.epa.gov/section608/refri...es-restriction

Brazing and welding are not one in the same. If you braze, you should also flow nitrogen through the lines to prevent forming carbon inside the piping that will contaminate the system.
You’ll also need nitrogen for leak testing, and a vacuum pump and micron gauge for evacuation.
southernxp likes this.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #10

it's different - brazing uses a filler material.

best to practice brazing pipes before attempting an install.

I believe a lot of mini-splits are flared instead of brazed though. It's a tight metal on metal seal held together by metal nut.

southernxp likes this.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Legally you need to be licensed to buy and handle R410A.

https://www.epa.gov/section608/refri...es-restriction

Brazing and welding are not one in the same. If you braze, you should also flow nitrogen through the lines to prevent forming carbon inside the piping that will contaminate the system.
You’ll also need nitrogen for leak testing, and a vacuum pump and micron gauge for evacuation.
Ok from looking on Amazon it sounded like you didn't need a license. Maybe my welder friends know hvac people.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #12

Make sure they are knowledgeable and know proper procedures. Lots of hacks and Gypsies. They take your money and run, and your left with a mess of a system to fix.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #13

The one welder has a really good reputation. If he could get me a friend discount it would be reliable.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #14

Do you plan on buying the equipment yourself and hiring someone to install it?
Old 05-24-2020, 11:12 PM   #15

That is what I was thinking. But I would want to talk to the installer first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement