Any Good: Honeywell RTH6580WF1001/W? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 456

Any good: Honeywell RTH6580WF1001/W?

PECO (local elec supplier) has an offer for a wifi Honeywell thermostat, model RTH6580WF1001/W:
https://www.honeywellhome.com/us/en/...6580wf1001-u1/

available for $79 then $50 rebate= $29:

https://pecomarketplace.com/collecti...Labor_Day_Sale

Any experience with these as far as reliability etc...?
I'm thinking for my mom's home, she lives alone, 94 yrs young, etc...Might save me a trip in the future.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 244

Re: Any good: Honeywell RTH6580WF1001/W?

The RTH series of thermostats has been VERY reliable and around for well over 10 yrs so I would buy it.

I would read the reviews on the Honeywell site but as long as you are handy and can follow directions and have a bit of electrical and computer skills ( to set it up ) you should be OK.

You need a extra wire for the C terminal to power it and I would not use any add-a wire/cheater device as they can screw up circuit boards in furnaces.
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

Thanks; I don't believe current Honeywell is C-wired (uses batteries) but can likely check the board for a C terminal.

I'm ok to use it if there on the board?

It is about a 5yr old York modulating gas heat/ac forced air system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Check the wiring behind the thermostat/tstat if there is a spare unused wire. If so use it for the C. If not you need to run a extra wire and hook it to the C on the board.

I am not familiar with the York modulating units but usually there is 2-3 ways it can be wired.

If it uses a 2 stage tstat then it may modulate with a timer and have 3 stages. If it uses a single stage tstat then it uses a timer. Unless it is a very new one with a expensive communicating tstat which allows it to truly modulate you may be able to use the RTH and have it switch stages with a timer.

It sounds complicated and maybe you want to leave it alone now. Otherwise if it has a 2 stage tstat now and you put the RTH in which is one stage you may have to flip some dip switches on the board and reconfigure it and then you need the install manual and it gets pretty complicated.

Post the model # and we have a tech here who sells York and may be able to help better.

Point is w/o knowing what type of tstat the installer used you may have a bunch of figuring out to do. Usually they go the cheap route a use a one stage and timer but some go 2 stage and that is a bit more accurate and comfortable.

Unless she has memory loss and cannot set the existing one properly I would just leave it alone. If the furnace fails it rarely is a tstat problem.

Last edited by yuri; 09-03-2020 at 01:51 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 332

Hi, definitely go for it, I have had 3 of them for years , never had an issue, just be sure you can get the extra wire from the furnace.
Geo
Geochurchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 60

I also have three of these. Pretty decent units. Overall, I like them.

My one beef is that they ONLY connect to the Honeywell back end for the remote capabilities. If you already run a smart home solution, it will need to interface with the Honeywell server's API, not the local device. So, for example, if you're sitting in your home and want to change the temperature, your smart home has to send the request to Honeywell, then wait and hope for it to send the request back to your thermostat. Of course none of that works if either the network connection or the Honeywell server is down.

Also, Honeywell offers no access to the data they collect about your system's total run time. I know they keep it, because every month they send a summary report which I find useless. I called, and they said there's no way I can access the data myself, so I could develop my own report format.

Admittedly, these are minor points, and irrelevant if you don't geek out on home automation anyway.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Yuri, it is a York TM9V 96% AFUE Two Stage Variable Speed Furnace if that helps any.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

If it is a 2 stage furnace and not modulating ( there is a difference ) then you can use a 1 stage tstat and it will switch from low fire to high fire after 10-15 mins on a timer. Usually they use a averaging algorithm to adjust that timing once it determines how long it takes to heat the house.

A true 2 stage tstat switches to high fire after the house temp drops 1 deg F.

Most people I know cannot tell the difference and I have never had any complaints.

BY default they usually come set for a 1 stage tstat unless they gave her the more expensive 2 stage tstat. You would see a wire on W2 on the tstat if it is 2 stage.

You can convert it to 1 stage tstat/timer use and some people will say that is a terrible idea but I ignore them. Then you have to flip a dip switch on the furnace circuit board or move a jumper and need the install manual or sometimes the wiring diagram shows you how.

If you go there pull the tstat off the wall and see if it has 4 wires. If so and there is no W2 wire then it is 1 stage. Then look for a spare wire in the wall from a old tstat or humidifier. If you have one then use it for C and setup the RTH and put the C wire on the furnace board and it should work OK.

I checked the Honeywell manual and it may have a setting in the programming menu for 2 stage use. I have not sold one of these and installed one so I don't know that for sure. Usually the 2 stage tstats are more expensive and have a different model #.

I sold lots of non wifi RTH tstats.

RTH is a R retail model vs TH which is a Pro model so maybe they include that feature for DIYers now.

Last edited by yuri; 09-03-2020 at 04:06 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 96

All the higher end retail wifi honeywells support 2-stage.

York uses fixed timer for staging - 10, 15 or 20 minutes.

In all likelyhood, there aren't enough wires in the wall for connecting the common, let alone W2.

Best thing to do is pull a new wire if you don't have enough conductors for connecting the common and W2.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,200

I have that exact same furnace and as Yuri says it can be set up to run true 2 stage with a 2-stage tstat or simulated 2 stage where it uses timers and algorithms. The manual shows how to make those settings. I have always used real 2 stage tstats with mine so can't give an opinion as to how it works the other way. But there are plenty of real 2 stage tstats out there including Honeywell, so that's the way I would recommend you go. I have gone through a few since that is one of my hobbies, currently running an Ecobee 3 that has an Alexa skill for voice control.

I love the furnace, BTW.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,200

And as USER alludes to if you want to set it up true 2-stage you need a W2 wire in addition to a c-wire. In my house the bundle of thermostat wires had extras that I could use for these, in spite of the place originally only having an old mercury switch stat. I got lucky. Otherwise you'd have to fish some new ones up.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #12

Thanks all. My next visit I'll pop off the front and see which wires are coming from the wall. It'd be near impossible to fish new wire especially given house is on a slab.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 96

If you have one extra wire now to use for either staging or common and have to choose between a that wifi stat and thermostat staging, go for the latter.

wifi is just a gimmick for convenience in most cases, it doesn't save energy over a standard programmable, it doesn't make the house more comfortable.

t-stat controlled staging is very beneficial in the colder weather during the season, as the timer cuts cycles short by bringing on high fire when it's not needed and locking in until the end of cycle.
During typical winter weather, it should satisfy using low before the time delay ends.

I believe the emerson sensi can work without the common if you have cooling, you can also look at a more advanced professional one that uses a interface module at the furnace.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,028

What make/model is your existing thermostat?
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #15

Well, my Amazon order reads: "Honeywell Home RTH7500D1049/E1 rt drz,"; I know I have to put batteries in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement